Sign in to follow this  
TheMenace

69 Fastback restomod

I molded the tail light extentions into the 1/4 panel to make it a 1 piece. here are some of the pics of that.

That is a nice touch. I'm curious how you connected it to prevent flexing/cracking.

That is a nice touch. I'm curious how you connected it to prevent flexing/cracking.

That was no easy task lol. I made a custom bracket that attaches to the body and sits 1/2" below the area of the tail light extensions to the body (there is a pic of this on one of the first 2 pages here). I welded that into place. Then I took a grinder and cuts grooves into the 1/4 panel that go 4" back towards the door. Drilled 3/16" holes 1" apart from each other along the lip on the tail light extension. After that I grinded 2" back into the extention. I did all that grinding bc the expoxy I am using "all metal" requires clean scuffed up metal to bite into. It's a 2 part expoxy that hardens into aluminum. Once all the metal was prepped with the grinder I mixed up A LOT of the all metal and put it onto the bracket I made and squeezed the extention onto it. Once I did that most of the all metal oozed out the 3/16" holes I drilled into the tail light extention and the rest oozed out where the 1/4 panel and extention meet. I bolted the extention in using the original 3 nuts as fast as I could (starts to harden in minutes). I put another thick layer of all metal along the line where the 2 meet. Let that dry for 48 hours and began the smoothing out process.

After all that I decided to do the same thing on the inside of the trunk area. It was a lot of work. Since this is my first and only time doing body work I say it was hard but a pro can probably do that with no problem. Plus I most likely over thought the whole idea and didnt have to go to the extreme I did.

Do you have close up of your head liught buckets? From the pic after it was painted yours look like mine at the bottom, jagged not straight, if that is how they are supposed to be I'm not going to spend 240 ea for 2 new buckets.

Do you have close up of your head liught buckets? From the pic after it was painted yours look like mine at the bottom, jagged not straight, if that is how they are supposed to be I'm not going to spend 240 ea for 2 new buckets.

They are suppose to look that way. They are jagged to make room for the bumper brackets and bumper. The only thing you have to worry about is if you have the mounting tab at the bottom. They always break off. Mine did. The tabs are used to hold the valance in place. They sell repair kits to fix them. I also read here that a lot of people were having bad fitment issues with the aftermarket buckets. I needed new ones and went on eBay and found originals.

Yea i have one mount tab bent back alittle bit and I believe the other is missing. I guess I'll do some research one a new one if I can repair the one that is bent. I also assume if you buy a repair kit it will just break again. Thanks