Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeDemon

Original Windshield Thickness

I've read a lot of posts indicating reproduction glass is thinner than the originals. I've never seen those statements backed up with measurements. I would like to understand how much different they really are and if it's fact or fiction (in my case anyways).

The only glass i'm missing is the windshield.

Can anyone (more responses, the better) measure their original windshield and report the thickness?

1. report the measurement tool

2. report at least three measurements and approximately where those measurements where taken (different locations please).

3. report the year and model of your car.

i will report the differences between the repop glass and your measurements (along with the rest of the glass set) shortly.

Will try to remember to bring my micrometers home tomorrow and get some measurements. Mine is a 70. Not 100% that it is original but will measure it.

Post up the numbers and brand from the stamp on the windshield. I don't believe the repro's have the Carlite stamp.

Okay, this response is semi-related to the original question. I used to own a two door sports car made in the middle 80's by the General. I ended up replacing the windshield after a few years. I had one of those mobile glass guys do the work for a good price. Within about six months the replacement windshield was cracked.

This time I went to a more reputable business. While I was there I asked one of their technicians why the "replacement", and hence less expensive, broke so quickly. I was told the glass from "over seas" is not made to the same temper specs at OEM glass. As such it is more prone to micro-fractures and cracking. I don't remember him saying anything about the thickness of the glass itself, but that doesn't mean anything given this was many years ago.

As you know front windshields are laminated glass assemblies. Bruce

This will be interesting when there are some responses. I did this once with my 70 and if I recall correctly the stock Carlite one measured just over 1/4" like .270" "ish" and the aftermarket under 1/4" like .220" ish. I chalked it up to improvements in the process over 40 years as they are both DOT approved. I forget the brand of the tinted top one I have for the 70. Funny I remember the numbers but not the brand. It's a math thing I guess.

I can no longer do an actual because the old 70 windshield is long gone. My stock 69 windshield from the screaming yellow zonker fastback was cracked too so I chucked it. Sorry I couldnt be more help or I would.

Just replaced mine, 69 coupe, from original to NPD repro, their top quality piece. Don't have actual measurements, but I do remember it was noticably thinner that the stock piece. Just like repro sheet metal, repro upholstery, repro trim, repro everything. Since I am having to replace nearly everything so far, you just have to expect that repro isn't the same as original. Even on pieces like dash pads, the underlying metal support pieces seem to be thinner metal. The most frustrating thing is repro parts that use metric bolts or threads. At least we can get stuff for our ponies.

ak70stang,

that's the perfect post!

revhead, looks like your memory is still operable!

i posted on VMF last night. it's amazing the number of people who can't read or follow directions. 5 people responding with zero information regards to what i specifically asked for. the best response was telling me to measure an old and new with a set of calipers. comical.

here is a picture courtesy of ECS Automotive. i have pics of mine that i submitted to them, but they are a little hard to make out the date code in the picture.

DCG-F.jpg

the picture shows two samples. the date code for the top sample is 9M. that is 1969 December. My original backglass, two small side windows, and passenger side door all have 9B codes which are february 1969. my car was built march 1969. my uncle gave me backglass which he claimed was from a 70 mustang. it has a code of 9M )december, 69).

someone replaced the drivers side door glass. it had carlite on it but it's in boxy type letters and is tinted which the rest of side glass isn't.

Buckeye my Coupe side quarter glass was like that one was tinted & one wasnt. I also found broken glass down inside the l/s rear trim panel when I was pulling out the window regulator like the window was broken at some point & was replaced with whatever they could find.

I too have been reading on the windshield thickness. Seems that a few restores have stated that the thinner front repop windshields cause the outer windshield trim to not lay flat. Since the glass in thinner the trim kinda lays at a angle. Thought you might want to know this Buckeye. Ive also noticed that when a nos rear window weatherstrip piece comes on e-bay it brings around $175. The repops must be too thick and cause problems...

i did a lot of research on glass before buying so i'm not needing any schooling about the issues with aftermarket glass and how to alleviate the problems. i'm just trying to put a number for what thinner really means.

i hate terms that are subjective. if data can be provided its allows each person to choose for themselves what it really means.

received all the glass except the drivers side door.

comparing thickness of the original to the new (ECS Automotive):

I measured two original rear windows (one 69 the other was a 70), 69 driver's side and passenger side quarter windows and 69 passenger side door glass (driver's side door glass was replaced at some point). I made about three measurements on each piece of glass to find a good representation of each. I'm using a set of Mitutoyo dial calipers.

Original Glass

------------------

DS QTR: .228"

PS QTR: .229"

Passenger Door: .226"

69 Backglass: .223"

70 Backglass .225"

So the original glass (i don't have a windshield) is measuring in the .223 to .229" range.

New Glass

--------------------

DS QTR: .233"

PS QTR: .232"

Passenger Door: .233"

Backglass: .235"

Windshield: .255"

So the new glass (except windshield is measuring is in the .232" to .235" range. With the exception of the windshield the aftermarket glass is on the order of 5-10 mils thicker.

Based on data provided by Revhead and ak70stang it appears the original is on the order of .270" and the ECS is around .255".

I see 15 mils on the windshield as noise.

For reference, someone on VMF (couldn't get any data from them) indicated .209" for new replacement Carlite glass (didn't specify year, but i'm assuming their process is all the same for early mustangs).

Thanks for the help!

received all the glass except the drivers side door.

comparing thickness of the original to the new (ECS Automotive):

I measured two original rear windows (one 69 the other was a 70), 69 driver's side and passenger side quarter windows and 69 passenger side door glass (driver's side door glass was replaced at some point). I made about three measurements on each piece of glass to find a good representation of each. I'm using a set of Mitutoyo dial calipers.

Original Glass

------------------

DS QTR: .228"

PS QTR: .229"

Passenger Door: .226"

69 Backglass: .223"

70 Backglass .225"

So the original glass (i don't have a windshield) is measuring in the .223 to .229" range.

New Glass

--------------------

DS QTR: .233"

PS QTR: .232"

Passenger Door: .233"

Backglass: .235"

Windshield: .255"

So the new glass (except windshield is measuring is in the .232" to .235" range. With the exception of the windshield the aftermarket glass is on the order of 5-10 mils thicker.

Based on data provided by Revhead and ak70stang it appears the original is on the order of .270" and the ECS is around .255".

I see 15 mils on the windshield as noise.

For reference, someone on VMF (couldn't get any data from them) indicated .209" for new replacement Carlite glass (didn't specify year, but i'm assuming their process is all the same for early mustangs).

Thanks for the help!