Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

1970 Hood Molding

So here is a stupid question. I'm looking at replacing the my hood molding. I see that there is a trim piece for 1970 and it appears that the molding is installed using rivets. I believe the molding on my car is screwed into the underside of the hood and I'm almost certain that I don't have that extra trim piece. Perhaps the previous owner installed molding from a '69.

Would anyone here be able to provide pics of the '70 hood molding installed with the trim piece on their car? I'm trying to get an idea of how the pieces fit together.

Thanks,

Big

Mine screwed on as well. Here's a pick of the bracket. It makes the install a lot stronger since folks like to grab the trim and lift the hood.

[ATTACH]10164[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10165[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10166[/ATTACH]

Mine screwed on as well. Here's a pick of the bracket. It makes the install a lot stronger since folks like to grab the trim and lift the hood.

[ATTACH]10164[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10165[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10166[/ATTACH]

Thnx 70,

Now I have a better idea of how the pieces fit. Somehow the chrome on mine had gotten hazed and nothing takes it off, and the center "point" of the molding doesn't match up with the center point in the hood at all which I always hated. Where did you get your molding from?

I believe I got the bracket from Mustangs Unlimited. Directions have it going behind the hood lip as it shows on the pics. This gives more support to the hood lip which can get bent if folks keep grabbing the molding. It's not a stock part, I don't believe our cars had these to begin with.

This strip is called a "hood molding support strip" and it is intended to be mounted on the leading edge of the hood (between the molding and the hood) I checked with my Ford body assembly manual. 1970 mustangs came with them, '69's did not. Mustangs Unlimited description for the support also indicates its placement.http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=70HMS+01