Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

Original Ford Tooling Chrome Trim any good??

I just bought NOS chrome trim for the 1/4 windows of my 69 fastback. Unfortunatly they are scratched - one pretty darn good.

I noticed CJP sells original Ford tooling chrome trim for that now.

I know some repop trim is crap like hood moulding, But how about the original Ford Tooling 1/4 window trim?

Any oppinions or experiences?

Thanks! Joe

here are some pics comparing my originals to the Ford Tooling pieces (not other reproductions). it's hard to show comparisons with them being such an odd shape.

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490-1.jpg

here is the one difference (cutout). my originals were different from left to right. my guess is Ford had a revision to this part and I may have a mix of revisions.

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

the shape of the part has some very, very subtle differences between the originals. however, the shape of the originals don't quite match each other (not referring to the difference in the cutout under the trim). sitting them on the car, i didn't see where i was going to have any issues.

the beauty of a reproduction part purchased from a distributor is you can order it pretty much anytime (when you're ready to install) and if you don't like it, you can send it back.

the beauty of a reproduction part purchased from a distributor is you can order it pretty much anytime (when you're ready to install) and if you don't like it, you can send it back.

Yea, thats exactly my thinking! Im trying to buy stuff I need buy may not be able to buy later, but stuff thats repoped and good I will wait (plastic gauge bezel for deluxe gauges, door panels, etc). I was shooting for all NOS or OEM trim on the outside of the car since I have all OEM sheetmetal. I dont know why - just a weird goal I guess....lol.

Thanks for the pics Buckeye - Nice comparisons!!

Thanks everybody!

Buckeye, your observations about the transition are correct. Even NOS ones have the transition like your Ford Tooling ones, whereas many of the originals I've seen have the taper like your original shows. I'm curious as to why it was changed, maybe due to changes in the stainless trim cover as well?

CJPony wants $70/pair but nowhere does it mention Ford Tooling. NPD also wants $89/pair for standard repops, likely Corvex brand. There are some NOS ones on ebay for $110/pair. Where did you get your NOS ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-SHELBY-MUSTANG-FASTBACK-QUARTER-WINDOW-TRIM-TWO-PIECES-/250958838072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6e4ff938

Where did you get your NOS ones?

I did get them off eBay. The seller was metroparts or something like that. He was great to deal with. One had a good scratch and he swapped it out for another one. But yes, I paid like $110 for them.

Where did you get your NOS ones?

I did get them off eBay. The seller was metroparts or something like that. He was great to deal with. One had a good scratch and he swapped it out for another one. But yes, I paid like $110 for them.

yea, there is still a lot of them available for some reason. The other item I bought from the same seller was NOS marker light bezels. They were maybe $70 or $80 for the set of 4 - NOS. There seems to be a lot of them available too.

yea, there is still a lot of them available for some reason. The other item I bought from the same seller was NOS marker light bezels. They were maybe $70 or $80 for the set of 4 - NOS. There seems to be a lot of them available too.

Thats timing. I just bought a set of rechromed OEM boomerangs yesterday.

I did buy a set of 70 NOS tail light bezels and looking at their quality wonder if they really were NOS and not a just a good repo. They did have Fomoco on inside

Thats timing. I just bought a set of rechromed OEM boomerangs yesterday.

I did buy a set of 70 NOS tail light bezels and looking at their quality wonder if they really were NOS and not a just a good repo. They did have Fomoco on inside

Did the tail light bezels come in the Ford boxes?

I'm finding some NOS boomerangs come in boxes and others come in the Ford envelopes. I'm thinking the envelope ones are a later production. Who knows how long Ford produced some of these replacement parts.

Did the tail light bezels come in the Ford boxes?

I'm finding some NOS boomerangs come in boxes and others come in the Ford envelopes. I'm thinking the envelope ones are a later production. Who knows how long Ford produced some of these replacement parts.