Sign in to follow this  
Boss302

Triple Gauge Pod installation..

so my 69 grande w/deluxe was more difficult to decide where to mount this triple gauge pod.

the pod:

qnMTdGE4vtGESZk3huFgA8f73m0VVSX_JUaNeN-CaYGxj9vY-wWDcL5TLSso38qngyQPFcFbAXbjCL9UKE0e8PQVHyuETbQGdVXGm0yFDlG3wrMKkiAufOlJiLuzODMUi1NsgT7P4UeOGAu4X4HFUllirCwv3usUtTtfjT-uPx3_bs0ya6-Bk5E

has anyone done this and where did you install yours?

or is there a better, Modded version that fits snug and wont get bumped into?

dont have a middle console..thought about getting one...but havent decided yet.

I obviously cant stick this near the steering column...or anywhere near the drivers side... only other option is the passenger side..

I dont know..any ideas?

thanks.

heres my inside, you can see the Tach, just under that is the current spot,lol

sam0939d.th.jpg

Well, I don't have one, but I am interested in what you decide here. I don't have a tach yet, but would like to add one someday. Looking at the interior, and knowing my own, there isn't really good real-estate for that gauge. I think you may have to investigate going into a console somehow, the only other place where driver can see them would be on the center of the dash above the dash speaker maybe. That would be a tough install with permanent mods to the dash, and it would be obtrusive. The dash in these cars is relatively high anyway. My 2 cents on the passenger side is that is just not an option. Just doesn't seem like a good option to me, but thats just IMHO.

Hope you get some other perspectives here, and better yet someone who has put one of these in a nice location.

On an unrelated note, I love the look of the seats. I really need that cloth center section. Can you let me know where you got those? I live in a hot/humid environment and cant stand the thought of black vinyl where I live even though that is original on my 69. Are your seats custom made or something I can buy as is?

Good luck!

Jay

I went down this road myself. I have a Humphugger Cruizer console so mounting them to the trans tunnel was not an option. Unfortunately they don't make an A-pillar with the integrated gauge pod for a 'vert only Coupes and Fastbacks and it only has two gauge pods.

My solution was to go to a company called Glow Shift out of New Jersey and order three of their universal gauge pods and mount them to the dash. I really didn't want but I had no other choice. The end result isn't that bad and a lot of people at shows have said they actually like them there.

I'm in the process of replacing my entire interior, so in the process I mounted my 3 gauge pod right underneath the heater controls. Since it was a temp situation, I took plastic ties and made a small circle on each end of the pod, then I pulled the woodgrain cover off at the bottom and put the bottom tabs of the cover thru the plastic tie circles then pushed the cover back in it's place. You could hardly see the ties and I could bend the 3 gauge pod upward for better viewing.

Since I'll be putting in a console, I'll be using the Shelby 2 gauge ashtray replacement pod and putting the Alt gauge in the center of the console.

Here's a picture of my temp situation, you can just see the gauges in front of the shifter.

th_1969MustangIns001.jpg

Here's what I got to mount two (oil pressure and engine temperature) of the gauges. I then got a single pod mounting plate to mount the last one (voltmeter) under the dash. I have my tach mounted on the steering column with a radiator hose band painted the same color as the interior (sounds ghetto, but actually looks good when it's painted.) They have these pillar pods for coupe's also. http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1964_1973_mustang/interior/dash/gauge_pods/cal_pony_cars/clpc00000481.html

Boss302,

How about two under the heater controls and two on the "A" pillar. That would leave you an extra spot for a tach so you could dump the one on your column and clean things up a bit. Kinda like what Jholmes217 is suggesting.

Since my car has the center console, I put two in the ashtray using a Shelby pod and I'm going to add the two on the "A" pillar. I am monitoring my trans functions so I used the extra space for that.

Bruce

I was wondering, has anyone with the A Pillar pod have any problems with vision. Does night lighting cause a glare or obstruct the view in anyway?

I would think that the 2 Pillar pods would impair vision. Any comments?

sorry for late reply, installed a new water temp sender unit on the old emissions port, and that sucker was corroded, big time, finally got it on and looks nice under the hood, and went back and used a ferrule piece to tightly screw on the mechanical oil pressure gauge, heat shrinked tubing around it AND brushed on that liquid electrical tape stuff around the compressor nut and where the copper tube goes in..so far no more leaks, and pressure is good...

Now...the location..

My car has A/C, so its a TIGHT..TIGHT fit for anything there..

Radio (aftermarket alpine, with a cheesy faceplate, which ill replace later...)the Heat/AC controls, under that is something like 1" of space....

the Top speaker on the dash...isnt functioning, but i dont want to rip that apart, and i have the upgraded dash, with the optional middle vents that work...just under those is some space...but i dont know...i mean..

if it was all electrical, i would them all in there, voltmeter,oil pressure(electronic) and water temp)

But the oil pressure is mechanical, so somewhere away from electronics...wires..so theres no weird crazy spark that ignites any oil spilled over and puddled some where..

they are in a triple gauge pod, which i might brake up..still unsure

Voltmeter somewhere near drivers side..MAYBE a pillar Pod, if theres one that ACTUALLY fits and not have any gaps or loose..

The Water Temp, i actually, fished it through the heater hose from inside, under the passenger side, the box underneath that has a hose that leads out side..OEM? or custom i dont know..

but i cut a hole in it, and put it back up against the box, sealed it with some auto black silicone sealant around the holes and spread more around where i cut to fish the water temp wire through...running from the back of the engine bay following a brake line on the right side, then up, over the valve covers and on to the water neck port above the water pump...success!

now instead of FACTORY temp that points to "E" i can now see it actually reads 160degrees

the oil was already ran before i got the car, its above and to the right of the gas pedal then swings to the passenger side and curves around the a/c controls on the passenger side to hook into the gauge

i MIGHT, use a SINGLE gauge mount for the oil and stick it on its side, just under the tach gauge...

later, i will replace the mechanical OIL pressure with a electronic one

then ill have need for a pillar pod (if theres a pillar pod that would fit nice and snug

Boss302,

How about two under the heater controls and two on the "A" pillar. That would leave you an extra spot for a tach so you could dump the one on your column and clean things up a bit. Kinda like what Jholmes217 is suggesting.

Since my car has the center console, I put two in the ashtray using a Shelby pod and I'm going to add the two on the "A" pillar. I am monitoring my trans functions so I used the extra space for that.

Bruce

i plan on getting a center console for mine, i saw one at mustangs unlimited...

F4536-C.jpg

..usually in my current cars the center dash is plast and comes off in like 45 pieces...lol and use a a DOOR DRILL KIT from lowes/home depot to drill the right size hole and done in like 30min or less...

but i dont want to drill holes in this nice dash...

that SHELBY gauge pod might work..i dont know, just tossing ideas and seeing any opinions...bad or good

...On an unrelated note, I love the look of the seats. I really need that cloth center section. Can you let me know where you got those? I live in a hot/humid environment and cant stand the thought of black vinyl where I live even though that is original on my 69. Are your seats custom made or something I can buy as is?

Good luck!

Jay

i bought it with those...they were originally from what he said, just newer...he might have changed it a bit.

but its nice, my stepfather owns a car shop and he does upholstery there ill ask next time i see him, to see what exactly it is..

to me it might be nylon...but i never took a second look that close to see....