Sign in to follow this  
Boss302

cigarette lighter installation

1969 Grande "deluxe"

the socket is there, so is the knob,

What or where does it hook up to, i felt the back, but no wires, so its missing a wire..or something..

But what is the wire or something..

google isnt popping up with the best results..

And i dont want to fumble around back there and break something

Does it need a power wire to a ignition source, like solenoid or accessories? but then what about grounding it.

F2468A-C.jpg

ill be basically using it for, radar detector...cell phone charger...stuff like that..

or should i buy a 12v power outlet and stick that somewhere...or will the stock factory lighter provide enuff...

Edited by Boss302
..added some more

There should be a single wire with a right-angle connector that slides over the threaded post on the back. It's unswitched 12V thru a 15A fuse (I think it's 15A). Blue with red tracer maybe.

As Raven said there should be a single wire with a right angle connector that slips over the threaded post for the power, & a blade type connector to slip over the tab sticking off the back of the lighter assembley for the ground.

As Raven said there should be a single wire with a right angle connector that slips over the threaded post for the power, & a blade type connector to slip over the tab sticking off the back of the lighter assembley for the ground.

to connect the power to it...

those are by default in the accessory fuse? or a cigar lighter fuse...or is it on solenoid

According to the 69 Mustang owners manual fuse #-6 a 14 amp fuse

powers the lighter, clock, trunk light, dome light, map light, courtesy lights, glove box light, & instrument panel lights.

cool thanks...ordered the parts..just waiting now.

I couldn't wait..went to autozone, bought a universal one,it didn't say ford on it, oh well..

Plugged it into the 14amp fuse....couldn't see a #6 spot...just all amp numbers, tried finding one that showed what and where the fuses are...

Once I plugged it in,it worked...radar detector, phone charger,all worked...

Then I tried the lighter itself...POP! Goes a fuse....maybe to much...

So I switched the wire to where it says,"flashers" 20amp....and it worked.

Plugged and tested it all...the lighter was done getting hot in 5 seconds

I guess the oem lighter uses less amp then todays lighters.

..turned on the flashers..instead of blinking...they were solid....but when do I user flashers.

So ill make it permanent tomorrow.

Does anyone have a page that list the fuseboxes used on the 69's (grande if required)

I tested the cigarette lighter,using the 20amp "flashers" spot, but im trying to attach a a RED wire to the TUBE fuses...

Is there a special setup to solder on the red wire to something then snap in a piece to lock into the tube fuse, some how?

thanks.

I've tucked bare wire under fuses in my younger days but I don't recommend it. It would be better to find a wire fed by that fuse and splice into that.

Just an FYI (or maybe TMI), the post on the left side of the fuse panel is wired directly to the 20A fuse (fuse #2). There is a part that Ford called a shunt that was installed when you ordered any options - map light, seat belt light, etc. It accepted a yellow 3-plug connector on a pigtail that fed the options. That would be the absolute best way to tap unswitched power as those obsolete parts are still available, and it's the way the factory did it. You don't really need the pigtail, you could attach directly to the shunt.

I've tucked bare wire under fuses in my younger days but I don't recommend it. It would be better to find a wire fed by that fuse and splice into that.

Just an FYI (or maybe TMI), the post on the left side of the fuse panel is wired directly to the 20A fuse (fuse #2). There is a part that Ford called a shunt that was installed when you ordered any options - map light, seat belt light, etc. It accepted a yellow 3-plug connector on a pigtail that fed the options. That would be the absolute best way to tap unswitched power as those obsolete parts are still available, and it's the way the factory did it. You don't really need the pigtail, you could attach directly to the shunt.

when you say left side, is that as though the FuseBlock was upright?

mines upside down, so that would be on the right...

is that the post, thats for Accessory (optional) as shown in the picture?

this is my FB, grabbed the image off the net..

1ewcci.jpg

i dont have the manual, so i dont know what fuse#2 is...

but i found this image just now, i think its accurate..

fuseblockoverlay.jpg

im also adding a 15amp IN-LINE blade fuse, for the power of the cigar lighter...15amp is high enuff to use the cell phone charger,radar detector, i dont smoke, and dont let anyone smoke in my car, so i dont think there will be any real use for the actual cigar lighter.

when you say left side, is that as though the FuseBlock was upright?

mines upside down, so that would be on the right...

is that the post, thats for Accessory (optional) as shown in the picture?

this is my FB, grabbed the image off the net..

i dont have the manual, so i dont know what fuse#2 is...

but i found this image just now, i think its accurate..

It's the one with your #1 arrow in the picture, #2 in the lower diagram - the diagonal slot in the plastic. It's a 20A accessory fuse that's deleted if you don't have any. The shunt accessory has the other clip for the fuse and a post for power take-off. Adding the shunt is probably more effort than just finding a wire and splicing into it but I was just throwing it out there.

Edited by 69RavenConv

well, that seems easier to tap into that wire, by any chance, do you know what the color would be?

shunt is more of a hassle, but for now ill splice, then when i plan on getting my engine re-tuned,painted,shiny'd up, ill upgrade to the blade wire kit.

i took a picture of mine..

sam0943n.th.jpg

the link:http://imageshack.us/f/402/sam0943n.jpg/

287.JPG

Edited by Boss302

1969 Grande "deluxe"

the socket is there, so is the knob,

What or where does it hook up to, i felt the back, but no wires, so its missing a wire..or something..

But what is the wire or something..

google isnt popping up with the best results..

And i dont want to fumble around back there and break something

Does it need a power wire to a ignition source, like solenoid or accessories? but then what about grounding it.

F2468A-C.jpg

ill be basically using it for, radar detector...cell phone charger...stuff like that..

or should i buy a 12v power outlet and stick that somewhere...or will the stock factory lighter provide enuff...

You have this so i don't think you need to buy the 12v power outley, but if you buy one it can help you when you need immediate support.