Sign in to follow this  
Boss302

Engine Temp. Sending Unit locations/ports

Ok, so after getting new gauges, Temp,Oil PSI,Voltmenter, i decided i wanted to try and use the Temp gauge, WITH my stock gauge that is Working..

The stock gauge TSU is front of manifold,driverside, works great, just isnt detailed, just says "TEMP" on the stock gauge, and points to "E", which is fine, runs cool. no issues..

The aftermarket gauge would show actual numbers...

i would like to install that as well, but i thought there were atleast 2 areas to hook up the TSU...cant seem to find one..

Question:

Does anyone have ideas or know where they hooked up a 2nd TSU for a different gauge.

302 2v v8 "F" code

thanks.

It all depends of what type of intake manifold is on your engine. Post up some good detail pics of your intake... in front of the carb, and behind. Seeing what you have on the car is the only way to give you any info.

album:

http://imageshack.us/g/855/97489555.jpg/

ill look at my water pump area as well..

ill look at exactly which IM i have and see if i could get another one..better one..

Edited by Boss302

the intake manifold is a Edelbrock performance 289...it was a little dirty...i guess, ill wrap all the important parts up, and pressure wash it all after i spray degrease on it first..

theres One port in the back behind the carb, but someone said its a vacuum port,

edelbrockperf289imbackp.th.jpg

the album: http://imageshack.us/g/855/97489555.jpg/

the picture:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/edelbrockperf289imbackp.jpg/

Yes, that's an additional vacuum port. You may need to use a brass "t" fitting to be able to use your original AND aftermarket gauges at the same time. Any brake supply house or well stocked hardware store will have the fittings you need. Oil should be 1/4" pipe and water is either 3/8" or 1/2" pipe thread. You can also try a combination of 90 and 45 degree street elbows to make things work. Bruce

Yes, that's an additional vacuum port. You may need to use a brass "t" fitting to be able to use your original AND aftermarket gauges at the same time. Any brake supply house or well stocked hardware store will have the fittings you need. Oil should be 1/4" pipe and water is either 3/8" or 1/2" pipe thread. You can also try a combination of 90 and 45 degree street elbows to make things work. Bruce

like this...

http://www.vdo-gauges.com/adapters-fittings/brass-t-adapter-1-8-27nptf.html

just a quick question and a second look...

whats this circled in RED, thats attached on top the water pump...

can it come off, seeing how nothing is using it..

and cant i attach the Water Temp Sender unit there?

fronttempwaterpump.jpg

tried buying that t fitting from that VDO site, but theres NO buy option...nothing to buy it..even created an account..but, i got one from ace...the helpful place.

Edited by Boss302

The fitting circled in red is for the distributor vacuum advance unit. The center port goes to the distributor. The top and bottom ports go to either a switched and non switched vacuum source. Usually one goes to direct manifold vacuum and the other end goes to a ported vacuum at the carb. it's all part of the SMOG system. If your state does not require it to be connected and functional you can use that spot for your temp sending unit.

Yeah, ACE would be a much better place anyway. I'm sure if VDO did sell that item it would cost three times as much as the hardware store version. Bruce