Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Rides like a Tin Can.

I drove the car for the first time today, besides up and down the street. I originally had a glasspack style muffler off the header, but that was too loud. I ventured to the muffler shop and had them install a H-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers and down pipes.

The car has a lot of pep but it feels like I'm driving in a tin can. It had the same feeling I had after a few years ago when I test drove a 1969 Corvette.

What can I do to improve the ride?

It just doesn't feel solid as other vehicles I drive. I know it's a 42 year old car and the technology is much different then today, but you see guys on this forum who drive their cars everyday or take cross country trips to car shows. They must of done something in order to get that comfortable feeling. It maybe that I'm sensing the lite weight of the car or maybe that most of the interior is out and there is no sound deadener. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's like sitting in a metal garbage can going down the road.

Does that have to do with the interior sound proofing material or suspension such as stiffer front springs and air shocks or original suspension (I guess). I know most of you will say it's the air shock stiff ride, but I've had cars in the past with air shocks and it didn't have this type of feeling that I have now. Or, is this the nature of the 69 Mustang.

Having most of the interior out, no sound deadening material, and air shocks (usually a band-aid for worn out suspension), it doesn't shock me you're not happy with the ride and sound of the car. It sounds like you have several issues to address to fix the issue.

heheh i hear ya, if you like get sound deadening material and finish your interior, also i would go ahead and replace and upgrade the front and rear suspension i think spending a couple $$$ should make that problem go away.

If its just the sound that is bugging you, then its definitely because there is no interior and sound deadening. With no interior, you're basically driving in...a tin can. Ive driven my car with and without the interior. BIG difference.

Sound issues aside:

If you have the stock over-boosted power steering, the car will always feel too light. Alignment can have a huge effect too, more than you would believe at first. Try to get as much caster as you can... shoot for 4+. Bilstein shocks will hide alot of sins too.

In the end, no matter what you spend, it'll never feel like a German performance sedan.

NO Power steering at the time but I do have the PS box installed.

Come to think of it, you all might be right about the interior, Since I'm planning to redue the same, I have the carpet, factory sound deadener, rear seat and door panels off as I'm driving. I couldn't wait to drive it after the interior goes in.

I also believe, a softer spring might help. After I installed the 289 & the rest of the drivetrain, the front springs didn't budge. I'm about 5" from the fender to tire.

Having most of the interior out, no sound deadening material, and air shocks (usually a band-aid for worn out suspension), it doesn't shock me you're not happy with the ride and sound of the car. It sounds like you have several issues to address to fix the issue.

I agree with Powershift. However, it will never feel like todays cars. But, after going through the front and rear suspension and installing all the interior with sound deadening the car should feel more solid and quiet down inside. Do you know what front springs are on the car? They may have too high a rate for your motor combo. If the rear leaf springs are original consider replacing them and their bushings as part of the suspesnsion rebuild. I have never driven a car with air shocks so I do not know how those will affect the ride. I would think they will stiffen the ride compared to a non-air shock. The air shocks probably won't be needed if the rear leaf springs are new or in good condition.

I too agree on the front coils, possibly the wrong springs for your combo. Also, ditch the rear air shocks. If you use air pressure to raise the rear end all you are going to do is crack the top mounting area where the shocks mount. Use different rear springs or a taller spring shackle in the rear to make height adjustments. Then use a good set of gas shocks in the rear like others have suggested.

You may also think about using extrasound deadening material as you are re-installing your interior. Like Dyna mat or similar materials. Bruce

I vote interior. I've driven in my vehicles with gutted interiors (nothing but a drivers seat + dash) and you literally are driving around in a tin can with wheels. Very loud and tinny! Putting sound deadener and the interior back in makes it 100x better.

Flanders- I had to smile when I read your post. That's exactly what I'm doing.

As for the springs. I don't know if there original. The car came with a 351W and the PO was trying to put a 390 in it but got side tracked.

How would I know what springs I have?

As for the air shocks. I really didn't have any clearence problems with the 295/50/15's until I went to change the rears. I discovered that the frame bump stop is slightly hitting the tire and if I apply a little air it clears it.

I'm think of shaving down that section of the bump stop that sticks out toward the tire. So far, I banged my head on it 3 times, ouch!!!!!!

Is it OK to do that and has anyone else done it. If it wasn't for the bump stop I wouldn't need air shocks.

I would say your right about that.

The message I'm trying to relay is not too much about sound, but sound is a concern, it's the overall feel. I would say that FLANDERS could relate to what I'm trying to get across. This was the first time I've driven my car or any car of this age for a very long time. My daily driver is a Ford Expedition. To answer my own question, I believe it's a combo of the sound deadening, carpet, door panels and rear seat.

I was wondering if anyone else had this feeling driving their car.

I recently took a ride in a buds 68 with only stock sound deadner and we both agreed that my car feels a lot more solid. I lined the floor, firewall, roof truck and most of the sail pannels in the rear with deamplifier sound deadner. Then i dropped a sheet in each door, and added all new interior it makes a world of difference, really. The car seems so much more solid with it. And athe lot quietermore inside even withput the flowmastercar 40's out thethe rear

. I drove this car with zero interior except for the drivers and back seat for almost a year and had no exhaust after the down pipe that joined the stock manifolds under the passenger side floorboard. It sucked. The rear spring s made a huge difference in feel also. No more bounciness. The deadner cost about $300a total.. but way worth it.

Boogerschnot-Thanks for reconfirming my thoughts. After the bodywork, I will sound proof the interior.

By the way, I envy you. I'm sitting here with a flannel shirt and wool cap while I look up and see that your in Hawaii. I wish I was there!!!!!!! Take care, John

Edited by prayers1

Ummm.... Your driving it without the int installed,

You are cruzing in a tin can....:lol:

The car is solid by it will echo every noise from bumps to exhaust.

As for the bump stop, simply take a cutoff wheel and slice into the corners and bend the tab upwards and flat.

This will retain the spot welds and strenght of the mount, But give you the clearence your after.

My last Mustang a 68 GT Coupe I had the exhaust stop at the rear axle & the drone at part throttle was terrible, so I put on tail pipes so the exhaust would exit at the rear valance & the difference was like night & day. I would put on tail pipes.

Mike65- I agree, the down pipes are installed not as permanet, but to make it a little more quieter and moveability until the body work is complete. Since I have to replace 1 frame rail and a 1/4, the rear will be coming back out. So, no sense for full exhaust until later.

I use to live I Central NJ and frequent Seaside Heights years ago. How's the Garden State doing?

Mike65- I agree, the down pipes are installed not as permanet, but to make it a little more quieter and moveability until the body work is complete. Since I have to replace 1 frame rail and a 1/4, the rear will be coming back out. So, no sense for full exhaust until later.

I use to live I Central NJ and frequent Seaside Heights years ago. How's the Garden State doing?

The proerty taxs are still outragous but overall I think ok. I finally got my wish after growing up my summers at the Jersey shore to live down there permanantly. I like being 10 miles from the beach.