Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Replacement door wire boots?

Was tinkering on the car last night and realized the plastic protective conduit was split in between the door and door jamb. I need to run added wiring for power windows and door locks. Was wondering what you guys have used? On my 70, the holes are pretty large. I measure the door side to be about 2/38" dia and the body side to be about 1 5/8". Was thinking these from 71 Mustang/Cougar looked like they might work.

Anyone been there, done that or otherwise know of a great replacement solution?

$(KGrHqZ,!i4E7FJqMDkrBO1ZIbZkgQ~~60_12.JPG

Yes, they are pricey. Theres really nothing wrong with my grommets, I could probably find some replacement conduit but it already has 4 wires running thru it and I need to add several more to it. The pic indicates that 71-73 Mustang may use the same size grommet holes and have room for more wires.

Its odd, but the door side grommet is very loose in the hole. Almost like it has shrunk up and barely stays in the hole. Passenger side is same way.

Those stainless looms look cool but really want to go with OEM rubber.

Subscribing! I didn't even know they had boots. My originals are like what is shown below (which are repros)

%21BSFh0%21gCGk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlzPB1BKB,s7fi-Q%7E%7E_12.JPG

Ahh hell, it helps if I read your thread. Your picture is of the later model ones. Nevermind! LOL Yours look similar to the Chevelle boots (68-72) as shown below:

$%28KGrHqF,%21iUE6O-cSjWyBOr1M%2902ng%7E%7E60_12.JPG

I don't know the diameter of the ends though.

Depending on how many wires you are trying to send through there, look into original Cougar harnesses with the connectors for power windows and door sensors. This will give you three additional wires to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-69-70-Mustang-Cougar-XR-7-Door-Wiring-Harness-/300566505202?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fb28e6f2

$%28KGrHqN,%21i8E6PgNZ,J+BOp3%21pp3Ew%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Also remarkably similar to the late 1980's Ford Ranger boots I junkyard scrounged to use on my other car (a '67). I don't remember the diameters but do remember for some weird reason each end was a different size and I had to hunt some slightly odd sized hole saws to get them fitted. This particular one is now jammed pretty full with wires for the speaker, power locks, courtesy light, and the remote mirror cable.

battcable2.jpg

They may or may not be good for a '69. My need for some on mine is so very far down the road I haven't even looked at the area.

I went ahead and bought the 71-73 Cougar set. Seller says they are the same size as 69-70 so I guess I will see and can let anyone else interested know. They have some generic ones but my holes are so large I would have to adapt them.

It seems odd that Ford would design such large wall penetrations and large grommet isolators for only a few wires running thru a single condit only 5/16" or so in diameter.

EDIT: You also installed remote kit for trunk and door locks didnt you? I know there is alot of junk out there. What remote kit (key remote + remote switch) did you finally settle on?

bc81_1_b.JPG

Edited by miketyler

And the answer is no. The large side is just a little smaller than the hole in the door and isnt going to work. The body end side looks like it would work. I guess I need to find some new plastic conduit or look at buying the repo or Cougar harness. If anyone can use these boots like I have listed in the first pic, let me know.

....they would work fine for someone adding wiring to the doors on a car that didn't previously have anything (no holes cut in door or body). Stinks they didn't work out for you though Mike.

They were cheap, sometimes you have to take the plunge just to see if something will work. Am going to see if the next highest bidder still needs a set. Plan B was to replace the cracked plastic conduiit with a slightly larger diameter material that would accept the added wires. Any idea where that tubing might be had?

Just to follow up. The stock PVC conduit can be bought from electrical supply in 50 ft qty. I actually bought a roll of the 3/4" diameter but the more I looked at it, the more I wanted to go with the accordion boots I bought.

Therefore, I built a pair of metal plates with slightly smaller hole than that factory hole. Primed, painted, and attached to inside of door with a healthy bead of silicone. That way is easy to remove if next owner wants to restore and doesn't do any metal mangling to the door.