Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Correct radio for 1970 Mustang?

Yes, I believe '70 was the only year that said the word, "MUSTANG". Could be wrong and if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I had a new one with the same AM/FM radio in 1970. It was a $43 option (LOL).

Yes, I believe '70 was the only year that said the word, "MUSTANG". Could be wrong and if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I had a new one with the same AM/FM radio in 1970. It was a $43 option (LOL).

WOW, $43 would have been expensive at the time. I would have opted for the $25 4.11 traction lock and let the engine revs keep me company!

The radio looks correct but those mounting ears arent ringing any bells for me.

Since it says "Mustang" on the dial I can't imagaine it being from a Falcon, LTD, Torino or other Ford from that era.

Where did you find the radio?

Guy pulled out of a 69 Cougar he is restoring. It looks very similar to the 69 radio that is on ebay right now for $1200. Unit is a little heavier then the early 70's counterparts with chrome slide control on the front. ( I have two of those) This unit has the external mounted diode with plastic cover above the LH shaft.

It has the C9 PN on the side, let me see if I can get it off the unit

Edited by miketyler

I would buy a can of electronic tuner cleaner and spray the Hell out of it. Especially the tune and volume knobs while I was turning and working the knobs and buttons.

+1 on the cleaning. You can use ordinary rubbing alcohol if you can't get the better aerosol stuff. Also check the obvious stuff, good ground to the chassis, good speakers, supply voltage, etc. Beyond that, it depends on how comfortable you are troubleshooting electronics. I have the Sam's Photofacts manual on the '69 AM/FM radio I could scan if that would help.

My 1970 am/fm radio is stamped D0ZA 19A241. I believe C9ZA was for 1969, I read online that its possible the manufacturer's code was stamped first while the other characters were added later once a specific application was determined. Maybe they just never stamped the rest of the numbers.

Also that Ford would renumber leftover inventory with a paper sticker that was placed over the C9ZA-19A241 number and change the face plate. Maybe a paper sticker was on there at one time but is now gone.

Joe

If you are going to clean it, you really need to take it apart. If all it does not get that loud, though, it is probably working ok. Radios back then were not that loud. The odds are you need an external amplifier, a very common thing to do with these.

But the cleaning idea will not hurt. You will need to take the top off so you can spray the potentiometers directly. The potentiometers are the things that move inside the radio when you turn the knobs. I think you can still get electrical contact cleaner at radio shack.

I have the original AMFM radio in my 69, and it does not have the word MUSTANG on it. It looks like the one on ebay that someone is trying to sell for $1200.

Also as mentioned, those mounting brackets in the picture do not look like what either a Mustang or Cougar would need. I have never seen those.

Thanks for that. I'm undecided on how I want to move forward here. Maybe will go with later model for better quality sound and ease of upgrade to auxiliary audio input.

I compared the bracket to the one that came with the car and it's identical and they both line up and fit my car. So what should a 70 model radio bracket look like?

Mike, you mentioned an upgrade with auxiliary input. I can do that mod to this radio if you want. I just did it for LiLMike, so ask him if you wonder about it. It allows you to keep the original radio look, I have done this mod on dozens of these radios. The mod does not destroy anything, but allows you to hook up a CD player or MP3 player and use the volume control on the radio and play it through your normal speakers. Let me know if you might be interested in that, it usually costs about $100 to do.

The later model radios had a little better sound quality and radio reception, but none of them had enough volume to drive nice speakers. You need an external amplifier with any of them.

+1 For Danno! he did a great job on my Radio. Like he said, I wanted a stock look but a good quality sound. I really don't want any of that boom boom boom crap but something that plays nice. Decided to upgrade a 75 Ford Radio I bought, get some nice quality speakers and a cheap amp to drive it. I also wanted the IPod to charge while playing and a power antenna lead. Danno hooked me up! Got a radio that is stereo and he checked everything out and made the necessary wiring harnesses that I wanted. Here is my finished product. I'm very pleased...WTG Danno!

IMG_0293.sized.jpg

IMG_0294.sized.jpg

IMG_0295.sized.jpg

IMG_0296.sized.jpg

Edited by LiLMike

+1 on the cleaning. You can use ordinary rubbing alcohol if you can't get the better aerosol stuff. Also check the obvious stuff, good ground to the chassis, good speakers, supply voltage, etc. Beyond that, it depends on how comfortable you are troubleshooting electronics. I have the Sam's Photofacts manual on the '69 AM/FM radio I could scan if that would help.

Rubbing alcohol is about 20% water, I wouldn't try it in anything electronic.