Sign in to follow this  
bwilson13087

302 build

After doing some research on my 69 coupes engine, i found out my 302 is out of a 65 galaxie. Since its not the stock engine i have decided to modify it. I've considered boring and/or stroking the engine. I don't have any experience with either of these. This is a just for fun type car so im not concerned of fuel economy. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks

It really will depend on what you want out of the car. Any time you stroke a motor the argument is that you lose some of the reliability out of the motor. I have hear that going to a 331 stroker is the "happy" medium over stock and a 347 stroker. I was faced with this issue when I had my motor rebuilt a year ago. My requirements were to build a motor that was reliable and got a little more power than stock. My engine builder ended up boring .30 over which is pretty standard and installed a mild roller cam setup. I am more than happy with it. The builder told me that conservatively I was putting out 345-355 hp. I would recommend finding a good builder and discussing your options with them and getting their feedback.

NO on the outside they are just the same. If you stroke it remember that you will be pulling more air and if the heads are not inproved on then it will just run out of air sooner and be a touq motor that might stop reving at about 5000 or so. Plan the entire engine so you get the most out of your money, make a budjet with the entire engine you want and spend the money only once, you will be happier and ahead of the game in the end.