LoneWolf2U

Front/rear glass installing

If you want to install your own leakproof glass try this.

Start with clean glass and mounting surfaces.

This means cleaning the pinchweld channel of old sealer and dirt or triming off excess headliner material as it should NOT be past the pinchwelds edge.

To do a clean mess free install you need to prep the area first.

I use tape and paper to mask off the interior and exterior.

A little time spent here will help in the clean up later.

Now using a pair of sawhorses with a blanket to hold glass, clean it!

The edges and ends must be clean of your hand print oils.

Take the rubber seal and turn it inside out, Putting the bodyside onto the glass. This will allow you to go all the way around the glass side of the seal placing a 3/16 bead of sealer in it. Let it dry for 15 mins to tack up a dry film topping.

Now remove rubber seal turning it rightside in and install it on the glass.

The sealer will help hold it in place while you put a 3/8 bead of sealer in the pinchweld channel of the rubber gasket.

Allow 15 mins or so dryi time for it to skinover, Use a lenght of 14ga plastic coated wire placed in the channel around the window with the ends hanging out at the bottom.

(the plastic coating of the wire helps pull out the rubbers lip while installing the glass without dragging out the sealer)

If you have a helper, great if not then place the bottom edge of the rubber seal over the pinchweld pushing the wire ends inside and allow the glass to lean onto the body.

From the inside hold one end of the wire tightly and start drawing the other end ouward rolling the rubber seal over the body lip.

If helper is there a SLIGHT pressure from them will help keep the glass from walking, if not just work slowly to keep glass from moving.

Generally once you have gone from the lower center around one end and start working the wire line in accross the top the pulling goes fairly quickly to the end of the wire.

Ok now the glass is installed, take your remaining sealer and place some at each top corner and each lower corner of the body opening.

The metal opening is square and the glass is rounded, this will help keep water out later.

Next allow the sealer to set up for about 1 hour.

Start at the bottom replacing the chrome trim peices around the window.

Pull off the tape/paper used to protect the paint/Interior.

After a few days of drying time you can go back and clean any excess off the glass with a razorblade.

Following this simple install plan with 2 tubes of sealer for many years without a leaking window in the front or back.

Edited by Mach1Rider

There are different types of sealers out there, and some won't work very well with the rubber gasket. The butyl sealers seem to be the right ones (super tacky, and they stay stacky). Which sealer have you used?

Thought I had a tube, but nope.

Its the 3M brand in a black tube used in a caulking gun, It does not get rock hard but dries to a rubber like consistency.

If you use a bedding compound for newer glass or like the 70 windsheild on the rear glass it will dry hard and leak later on.

I'm getting ready to replace my mach's rear window seal and am curious what is the correct sealant to use? Is the 3m 8509 Bedding and Glazing Compound the correct stuff? I've read not to use urethane like is used on the new cars. I thought the Bedding and Glazing is nonhardening. Thoughts?

The windshields I install with just Urethane. For the rear glass I seal between the gasket and glass with urethane only, not the bedding compound.

What about between the gasket and the body?