Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Right Paint for 1970 Grill

I want to re-paint the grill in my 1970 Mustang convertible. I bought a can of Scott Drake 1970 Grill and Rocker Panel paint, part number L 17500 from CJ Pony Parts. The one review of the paint said it was too light and it is. Link here: http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-grille%2frocker-panel-paint-mach-1-1970/p/PTDKARG/ I also tried Glazier/Nolan Mustang Barn, but they also sell the Scott Drake product. I also tried the Ford Dealer and that was a no go, they could not find any listing for such paint.

Mustangs Unlimited has a Charcoal Finish paint which they say is for the 1970 Mach 1 Rocker Panel. However, I know at one time they crossed referenced it as the proper paint for the 1970 Grill. The web site does not show that now. Link here: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=A5000+01

My question, has anyone used the Mustangs Unlimited Paint, or can anyone tell me the proper paint from another source?

It was Dark Argent but it appears darker than what I would envision as dark argent comparing it to the wheel Argent color. I used VHT SP027 Bumper and Trim Paint once and was very happy with it for years quality wise but it is too black to appear stock. NPD has one called AP-GPA that is a recreation of the original Dark Argent which they formulated from some low mileage show car matching. They named it Medium Charcoal Metallic Satin though, lol. I have not used this... yet. Let us know what you try and the results.

Do you guys have a photo of the parts that need to be painted with this Medium Charcoal Metallic Satin paint? I have seen lower grill pannels painted all the way, but is that correct? As far as i know these have the color: lower grill, grill itself, those plastic headlight bucket rings, and the curved anodized metal pieces? Still need to figure out how to get a can of it in Europe... maybe have someone send a paint swatch and have it duplicated?

The NPD stuff is mixed by Seymour Paints. Perhaps a call to them might connect you with a distributor in Europe. Obviously if it's a proprietary NPD color, you may have to get their permission.