Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

used shaker hood - whats it worth?

Am told this hood is an original shaker hood. Looks to be missing the thin molding around the edge of the opening. Has twist lock holes that looks to possibly be added. Also has some damage on the front that has been repaired and isn't seen when the trim is installed.

I have not seen this yet in person and am planning to go look at it tomorrow. Do any of you see anything I should be concerned with? What do you think its worth from the pics?

the holes for the twist locks look really big. i'm not that familiar with 70 hoods though.

based on the way the mud looks at the edge, i wouldn't be surprised if there is some ugliness under there.

i also wouldn't be surprised if the back edges will need some help after resting it on the ground by the edges.

i have no idea what it's worth. looks workable though.

My standard scoop hood is so nice, I hate to cut it. Seller is asking $100 for it. If nothing else, I thought I could use to fit my shaker. Do you all agree its probably worth $100 anyway, right?

Edited by miketyler

It seems the shaker hood was stamped out and has a 1/8 inch small edge that points down towards the ground ( I suppose that's how you can tell a true factory shaker from one cut out from a template. Not that big of a deal unless your building a car to compete for gold awards. If you don't care then no big deal.

Depending on what's under the filler you could have a little bit of work ahead of you or very little. Buckeye made a good point check the back corners they may be hammered flat from being moved around and stored like that. Hoods always need to lay on their side edge.

My problem has been getting the time to take the road trip to go see it. I don't mind a little mud and although the pics aren't conclusive, I'd think if it was really extensive the underside structure would show damage as well.

Checking mine, the hood lock holes size seem to be close. Hood is stored flat, stood up to take pics. With a repo hood 4x as much, I think it's worth looking at.

It seems the shaker hood was stamped out and has a 1/8 inch small edge that points down towards the ground ( I suppose that's how you can tell a true factory shaker from one cut out from a template. Not that big of a deal unless your building a car to compete for gold awards. If you don't care then no big deal.

hmm. my shaker hood didn't have this 1/8" lip from a stamping. more like a burr. does your hood have this?

Ok, am kicking this one around again. Found a "real" shaker hood only minutes from my home. It is rusted top and bottom like a car that has sat out in direct contact with the elements but not rusted thru (that I could tell) No dents but pretty much is going to need blasting top and bottom sides.

The seller believes this part to be worth over $1000. I know you guys all told me I should cut my losses and get the repo hood but now I need to know. What would such a hood in this condition be worth?

Yes, needing it for a 70. Was hoping somone on this board would know what a real shaker hood might sell for today. I would deduct for condition, I just need a reference point.

The guy with the hood today seemed convinced and I really didnt have any information to present otherwise other than price ranges for repops. Just looking for a reality check here...if you had an original 70 shaker hood, in clean condition with no rust, ready to sand, prime and paint, what would your asking price be?

Edited by miketyler
rephrased question

Me personally, the value gain isn't really there. You can get an original Ford tooling hood in better condition and after it's painted who's really gonna look or even care.

If your so bent on getting this hood, I would make sure that it fits proper. It may be warped or crowned.

Don't take it personal, this is only MY opinion.

It seems like you really want this hood. If he wants $100, then give $75, you have nothing to lose. I don't have a shaker hood, I would buy this one for my project if it was close by and you didn't want it. If you got the cash and are replacing a lot of metal, then I would buy a FORD tooling one.

I've bought other things that I regretted for a lot more, so it's a personal choice.

I really dont know what the original shaker hood is worth. I did sell a perfect condition oem hood - stampings and all - non shaker (Mach1 hood scoop holes) to a guy for $450. Then he paid $150 to have it shipped to Minnesota. So if thats a gage, he had $600 in a non-shaker.

Hope this was of some help.