Sign in to follow this  
gjs14

HELP! flywheel/bellhousing starter prob.

So I need some help, I have a 302 4 speed w/164 tooth bellhousing and a 157 tooth flywheel in it......the starter is 20mm from contact with the flywheel, can I fix it with a different starter?

Thanks

Steven E

So I need some help, I have a 302 4 speed w/164 tooth bellhousing and a 157 tooth flywheel in it......the starter is 20mm from contact with the flywheel, can I fix it with a different starter?

Thanks

Steven E

No, Your only choise is to replace the flywheel or use an aftermarket bellhousing.

no option besides the correct flywheel for the bellhousing, or the correct bellhousing for the flywheel. We went through it on a friends pro-mod rockcrawler, he got a 164 tooth bellhousing and tried to use a 157 tooth flexplate... We had to tear the transmission back out to fix it, which wasn't much fun since the chassis was set up to load the transmission in through the interior...

I just got done going through the same issue 164 tooth bellhousing Ford # (C5TA-6394-A) with 157 tooth fly wheel. Found aluminum 157 tooth bellhousing Ford # (C90A-6394-A) in excellent conditionon e-bay $61.00 to door. Aluminum Blocking plate brand new E-bay to my door $29.00. After making the swith yesterday I had starter problems the original 3132 starter then would not fit because is was to big around. I found a starter from a 1983 mustang 302 at parts store part number 3180S and everthing fits and engine cranks perfect. I'm not sure about the starter issue on a 302 I've been working with a 351c.