Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeDemon

exhaust tip size

You're talking about the dual outlet tubes? I can measure them tonight but I recall long ago when I started to search for a set that would work with a 2 1/2" system that the roll pan opening was like 4.5" and the overall tip was like 4". I think the individual tubes are like 1 3/4" each with about a 1/2" space in between.

On my car I've now got the reproduction rolled lip (100% 304 S.S.) tips that I bought from Mustangs Unlimited back in 2005. Part # on box is C7ZZ-5258-C, but no mfr. name.

These tips use 2" Dia. tube for each tip and they touch in the center so O/A tip assy. is 4" wide.

Prior to these tips I had a set of the genuine Ford replacement Chrome Plated Steel non-rolled tips (stamped C9ZA-5C262-E) that I had bought back in the 80's.

These tips also use 2" tubing, but there is a 1/4" between the tips so they are 4.25" wide O/A

Both tips have a 1-3/4" I.D. inlet that expands out to 2" O.D. before the split.

I don't know if the factory O.E. Ford rolled lip tips had the 1/4" gap or if they were tight like my repro's. The picture in my Spring 2009 CJ Catalog of the repro rolled tips shows a gap between them, but can't say if it is a 1/4". Current pics on CJ's site are a 3/4 view of the Scott Drake repro's, so you can't tell. On Scott Drakes site, they do have a bottom view that shows the gap ...

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C7ZZ-5258-C.aspx?wid=141

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me
added info

Sorry, I've been out sick for a few days, I'll get to mine in the garage this weekend and take pictures with a ruler.

you mentioned in two of your posts making some measurements. did you get a chance to do this?

hopefully you're not still under the weather.

Ah crap, no I'm fine now, just a brain fart. I dug out my tip and took pics with a ruler just never downloaded and posted them, I'll try to remember to do it from home tomorrow.

So I'm curious what's the dilema or bind you are in anyway? Are you trying to make custom tips or cut out a standard roll pan or something?

i'm trying to figure out how to get a tip through the cutout in the valance. the shackles are really big and in the way. my plan has been to run 2.5" from the muffers back to the tips, but i'm not even sure how to get the 2.5" tip through there. i've played around with some tubing, ovalizing, etc, and i'm still stumped.

i want to understand how the original tips looked, there size and how they filled in the cutout.

as a bare minimum, the exhaust has to come through the valance. at worst case i run a single tip.

my preference would clearly be a dual tip since that speaks 69.

it's all a compromise...

There is a guy in Michigan that makes these for more than just the 2" pipes that came from the factory. Forget his contact info, but I learned about it here, so a search should turn it up.

Hi, Im wanting to run the 69 tips but they will only work on 2" pipe. I really like to run 2 1/2" pipe out the back. I cant seem to find this guy your talking about. Got any other tips on how to find him?

i'm trying to figure out how to get a tip through the cutout in the valance. the shackles are really big and in the way. my plan has been to run 2.5" from the muffers back to the tips, but i'm not even sure how to get the 2.5" tip through there. i've played around with some tubing, ovalizing, etc, and i'm still stumped.

i want to understand how the original tips looked, there size and how they filled in the cutout.

as a bare minimum, the exhaust has to come through the valance. at worst case i run a single tip.

my preference would clearly be a dual tip since that speaks 69.

it's all a compromise...

Hunh, I have a 2 1/2" magnaflow system going on my car eventually so I hope I don't run into these issues too, are your shackles like super huge comapred to stock or something? I know this wa the reason the originals were dimpled at the Y to avoid the shackle but not sure why the increase in diameter after that would cause such an issue. Since one of my originals is bent badly I plan to first try to cut them right afetr the dimples and then weld them to a 2 1/2 x Oval Stainless transition to make my own. If the't don't work or look like ass then I'll splurge for the Great Lakes ones.

Anyway, here's my pics, the dimensions were pretty much as I remembered.

great pics. that helps.

i'm running the Del-Alum (i think that was the name) shackles. The plates are a lot thicker than the stock replacement aftermarket version (the aftermarkets stock replacements looked nice but were even a little thinner than the originals). Also the teflon like thick washers add a little more to the width. the big nut probably won't help either. will probably have to do some mods to the shackle as well to help out.

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

Wow, the dilema is pretty clear now. Looks like if you let the tip stick out enough though that you can run straight pipe as far as the end of the shackle with litte trouble, you may need to just snake a small zig in the line outwards to recenter the tip and run a much shorter tip than 12".

I decided to look up some "supposed" concours pics just to see the difference in shackles, seems yours are eating up quite a bit of precious real estate when all is said and done, I think they'll need some modding for sure. I always heard that the very end of the tip should line up with the bottom edge of the bumper, this car seems to be sticking out just a bit more than that and his dimples seem to be forward of the shackels so if he tucked them in a little more like what I have heard then the dimples would be probably just even with the shackle. Anyway, FWIW.

DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0488.jpg

DSCN0489.jpg

DSCN0487.jpg

P1004585.jpg

P1004584.jpg

I decided to look up some "supposed" concours pics just to see the difference in shackles, seems yours are eating up quite a bit of precious real estate when all is said and done, I think they'll need some modding for sure. I always heard that the very end of the tip should line up with the bottom edge of the bumper, this car seems to be sticking out just a bit more than that and his dimples seem to be forward of the shackels so if he tucked them in a little more like what I have heard then the dimples would be probably just even with the shackle. Anyway, FWIW.

that is a pretty nice car. i had saved all those pics locally about two years ago. those tips are sticking out way too far. i think i've also seen the tips on other cars coming through the valance at a slight angle to deal with the issue as well.

here is pic of a 52 mile mach 1 showing the tips. the dimple is in the exhaust to clear the shackle.

52 Mile Mach Exhaust

The bolt head is on the other side. if needed i'm thinking i may cut the head of the bolt and weld it to the plate so that the bolt head or nut isn't on that side. May also have to massage the bottom edge of the shackle. i'll have to be smart about those mods as i don't want a broken shackle.

may also have to create my own clearance in whatever stainless tip i go with...

don't know. just stuff to think about.

IIRC (and for an old man with a failing memory) When I had my 68 GT Coupe back in the 80's it had the same dual outlet tips on the exhaust tail pipes & there was no or very little space between the 2 tips.