Sign in to follow this  
kennygunit

1996 351w Engine Build Thread

After we found that problem, we went ahead and started working on balancing my connecting rods. The biggest difference between the lightest and heaviest rod was 10grams, so i had to shave off about 7grams on the big end in order to get it to an acceptable weight. We just used a grinder to shave off the weight.

2011-12-07110309.jpg

2011-12-07104231.jpg

The final thing we did before the weekend was install the rear main seal. Pretty simple, just slid it one with some oil on the inside, and RTV on the outside. We couldn't get it all the way in because the engine stand was in the way, so i'll have to tackle that once its off the stand.

Thats it so far!

I've ordered a ton of more parts and goodies that will be arriving shortly. Next week I plan on finishing up the bottom end by throwing on a Canton oil pan, the timing chain cover, water pump, fuel pump, and hopefully throw on my new heads!

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned!

You can block off where the fuel pump goes, and use a nice electric fuel pump. My motor is also a 351W, that I rebuilt in 1976. I also added that double roller timing chain, but had a problem with the front case going back on. I had to dremel some of it off so it would slide over the chain. I did that on the very top.