Sign in to follow this  
Oz69fan

Sail Panel Installation - Mach1

Hi Fellas, We are finishing off a restoration on this Mach1 -

028-3.jpg

025-3.jpg

We are stuck on how to correctly fit the sail panels inside. They are new reproduction units - do not have the old ones - for the life of us we cannot work it out.

Have done a search on the Forum but did not come up with anything conclusive. Anybody have experience with these? Appreciate any advice.

Rod.

I installed new Sail Panels in my 69 Fastback, and it seemed straight forward but the old ones were there for me to look at. The front end goes under the Wind Lace and the rear tucks under the Rubber Seal on the rear window. The bottom goes behind the plastic package shelf trim. Here are some pics to show what I mean. Hope this helps.

Hi I had my sails recovered, pretty easy to fit actually just by lifting windscreen rubber with small screw driver then just rolled the rubber with my fingers. I had to remove the lower platic trim first. As for the light I don't think repos have the metal ring, as mine were recovered I just used a sharp blade to cut away new trim around the ring and the lights fitted no problemo. Cheers

Are Sail Panels supposed to be Dyed or Painted?

It looks like the ones in my car were painted over at some point and they have faded. I want to freshen them up and I think painting may be what I have to do. Where can I find a list of rattle can paint colors that match interior colors?

I need the dark red or maroon color in a rattle can.

Thanks.

Edited by TexasEd

It looks like the ones in my car were painted over at some point and they have faded. I want to freshen them up and I think painting may be what I have to do. Where can I find a list of rattle can paint colors that match interior colors?

Thanks.

Edited by TexasEd

I did mine and it did not have a metal ring. I ended up making my own rings using some roof flashing I had laying around. I did not remove my window but actually tucked under rubber as already suggested. Only difference is I sprayed some adhesice on it prior to that.

there appear to be two sets of sail panels on the market. one without the cardboard clips and without the metal rings and a set with the carboard clips and metal rings.

NPD sells the ones with the cardboard clips and metal rings. i had to reglue the edges on the version that has the metal rings.

here is a snippet from the build thread:

i finally installed the sail panels. i had been missing the metal inserts for the lights and someone turned me on to the panels that NPD sells that have those metal rings already installed. Turns out they are made by Scott Drake. I had another set i believe sold by ACC that didn't have the rings installed.

there was some mix up with NPD but they corrected the situation by shipping overnight another set.

the Drake sail panels weren't glued all that well around the edges. it was peeled up around 90% of the perimeter. the face seems to be glued just fine though.

i ended up regluing the edges and added some foam (ended up trimming it down a bit).

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

I have the dark red interior, too, and found the SEM products sold by NPD were the best overall product in a rattle can. Red is a tough color and the shade will vary from product to product and can to can. A little variation is good (since not every part should be the exact same shade) but too much is bad. I got a couple cans that were way off and unusable but some others were dead on. The dye (for soft parts) was more consistent than the lacquer (for hard plastic) but it still varied.

If I had to do it over again, I would consider going to a paint jobber and paying more money to have them mix some up.

I just purchased a set of sail panels for my 69 Mach 1 from NPD. They are a Distinctive Industries product and while I am a little disappointed about some of the vinyl lifting on the back they are not too bad. My question is... what is the gold vinyl strap used for and the cardboard square has come unglued.

7276DA46-A8BD-4809-B6FA-B83DE2D1DFC5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.85385e880148d248991cb273f67361d2.jpeg