Sign in to follow this  
northrup5

Car Cover Recommendations

Looking for some advice on purchasing a car cover for the upcoming off-season storage. I have a '69 Grande - would be interested in any feedback on quality and fit for coupes - there seems to be a ton of suppliers on the web. The car will be stored in an underground garage, so the objective is to protect the finish and keep dust / dirt at bay, but no expectation of rain / snow protection.

Thanks

Looking for some advice on purchasing a car cover for the upcoming off-season storage. I have a '69 Grande - would be interested in any feedback on quality and fit for coupes - there seems to be a ton of suppliers on the web. The car will be stored in an underground garage, so the objective is to protect the finish and keep dust / dirt at bay, but no expectation of rain / snow protection.

Thanks

I asked the paint guy who did my car that same question and he said not to use one. Instead, he suggested taking one of those California dusters to the car every week. He explained that over the long term, when dust gets under the cover, which it will, it will attach to the underside and act more like sandpaper when installing and removing it from the car.

I bought one of these high end car covers but have never used it. In fact, it’s still in its packaging. My car sits in a heated garage, and I’ve found that all I need is a couple of old flannel bed sheets to keep the dust off it over the winter months. If I’ve got some work planned, the sheets come of and go back on much easier than the covers I’ve used the past. After the winter I throw the sheets in the wash and they’re ready to go for next year. It may not look the greatest, but definitely cheap and effective.

Regards,

Tony

I bought one of these high end car covers but have never used it. In fact, it’s still in its packaging. My car sits in a heated garage, and I’ve found that all I need is a couple of old flannel bed sheets to keep the dust off it over the winter months. If I’ve got some work planned, the sheets come of and go back on much easier than the covers I’ve used the past. After the winter I throw the sheets in the wash and they’re ready to go for next year. It may not look the greatest, but definitely cheap and effective.

Regards,

Tony

Who made it? Is it fitted? Interested in getting rid of it?

I purchased it back in 2009 but don’t recall the manufacturer nor exactly how much I paid. I did some research at the time to make sure I purchased a decent one and didn’t cheap out. It’s fitted for a ’69/70 fastback mustang. As far as selling it, let me find it first! I’ll send you a PM should I decide to get rid of it.

Cheers,

Tony

I asked my painter as well and he said a simple flannel one since it is just inside.

I was curious if the dust caught under a panel over time is more damaging to the paint or using a duster on a heavily dusted car is? I covered mine since I won't see it for several months.