Sign in to follow this  
philip

fixing up the coupe

Hello all i'm new to the forum and i might as well start off with my 69 coupe that's been sitting in my dads shop for over ten years. The story behind this car is pretty simple. my dad bought the car about 13 years ago for my mother to drive but she didn't like how hard it was to turn so instead he let my brother drive it when he was in high school. well one day after my brother checked the oil he didn't latch the hood well enough. about a mile or 2 down the road the hood flue up on him causing him to run off the road into a ditch. the only damage that happened to the car was a bent rim, bent hood and the drivers side hinge tore out of the finder apron. Because my dad didn't have the time or the money to fix the stang its just been sitting there all this time collecting dust. now that hes letting me take over the car i hope to make it back into the head turner it once was.

p.s pics coming soon

Hello all i'm new to the forum and i might as well start off with my 69 coupe that's been sitting in my dads shop for over ten years. The story behind this car is pretty simple. my dad bought the car about 13 years ago for my mother to drive but she didn't like how hard it was to turn so instead he let my brother drive it when he was in high school. well one day after my brother checked the oil he didn't latch the hood well enough. about a mile or 2 down the road the hood flue up on him causing him to run off the road into a ditch. the only damage that happened to the car was a bent rim, bent hood and the drivers side hinge tore out of the finder apron. Because my dad didn't have the time or the money to fix the stang its just been sitting there all this time collecting dust. now that hes letting me take over the car i hope to make it back into the head turner it once was.

p.s pics coming soon

wheel

hood

hinge

Repair or replace apron

paint

done.

This could be a quick turnaround, but battling the issues caused by sitting for years may be challenging. Good luck with your project and welcome to the site!

wheel

hood

hinge

Repair or replace apron

paint

done.

This could be a quick turnaround, but battling the issues caused by sitting for years may be challenging. Good luck with your project and welcome to the site!

thanks all for the warm welcome :) I'm not going of a pro touring build or any thing like that mostly its just going to be a week end cruiser. My goal is to get the the rust and grime off the car and to see what all i need to do. From what i see so far there's a lot of bushings that are going to need replacing (oh the joy).

@DRASTiK I'm trying to find a set of wheels i like, but I've been wondering whats the widest tires i can get on the front and back of the coupe with little to no fender massaging. I have a hood from a boss it just needs a scoop witch are pretty cheap. the hinges are good too. the apron after a little investigating have some bad rust holes on the top of the fender aprons so at lest one of them will have to be replaced and some i might be able to do some patching on them. the shock towers look good except the on the top where they meet with the aprons, and the the guard that goes around the shock on the driver side has a big rust hole in it. the paint is cracking and there are some rust bubbles on the fender lips and on the rocker panels too. I just need to strip the paint and do the priming. anybody have any advice on the quickest way to strip the paint?

Edited by philip

thanks all for the warm welcome :) I'm not going of a pro touring build or any thing like that mostly its just going to be a week end cruiser. My goal is to get the the rust and grime off the car and to see what all i need to do. From what i see so far there's a lot of bushings that are going to need replacing (oh the joy).

@DRASTiK I'm trying to find a set of wheels i like, but I've been wondering whats the widest tires i can get on the front and back of the coupe with little to no fender massaging. I have a hood from a boss it just needs a scoop witch are pretty cheap. the hinges are good too. the apron after a little investigating have some bad rust holes on the top of the fender aprons so at lest one of them will have to be replaced and some i might be able to do some patching on them. the shock towers look good except the on the top where they meet with the aprons, and the the guard that goes around the shock on the driver side has a big rust hole in it. the paint is cracking and there are some rust bubbles on the fender lips and on the rocker panels too. I just need to strip the paint and do the priming. anybody have any advice on the quickest way to strip the paint?

Edited by philip