Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Help me duplicate my old tire size

If you can believe it, my first car was a 69 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet that I bought for $900. I had it for 2 years until I totaled it. I loved that car! A lot of great memories Junior and Senior years. I had to get rid of it since I was starting college. I've had my share of Muscle cars since, but I never forgot that first car which lead me to the website. I eventually bought a builder that I would like to duplicate the looks. I know I will never have what was in the first one, it was loaded.

Below is the only picture I have. On the rear it had Mickey Thomson M or N 50's on 15" rims. I had air shocks to clear the wheel well. I love the look of Deep Dish, fat rear tires on 15" rims with the rear lifted up a little.

Can someone guess what width the tire might of been, rim width and back spacing to fit a deep dish Weld Prostar.

Thank you

LastScan.jpg

th_LastScan.jpg

If you can believe it, my first car was a 69 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet that I bought for $900. I had it for 2 years until I totaled it. I loved that car! A lot of great memories Junior and Senior years. I had to get rid of it since I was starting college. I've had my share of Muscle cars since, but I never forgot that first car which lead me to the website. I eventually bought a builder that I would like to duplicate the looks. I know I will never have what was in the first one, it was loaded.

Below is the only picture I have. On the rear it had Mickey Thomson M or N 50's on 15" rims. I had air shocks to clear the wheel well. I love the look of Deep Dish, fat rear tires on 15" rims with the rear lifted up a little.

Can someone guess what width the tire might of been, rim width and back spacing to fit a deep dish Weld Prostar.

Thank you

LastScan.jpg

th_LastScan.jpg

Come on!! What do you think my back spacing should be, if I want deep dish rims with a tire wider than a 275 series. I really liked the Mickey Thompsons M or N 50's on 15" rims, but i don't know how wide the rim and tire was. They no longer make that series of tire.

Come on!! What do you think my back spacing should be, if I want deep dish rims with a tire wider than a 275 series. I really liked the Mickey Thompsons M or N 50's on 15" rims, but i don't know how wide the rim and tire was. They no longer make that series of tire.

Nearly impossible to tell from that photo. They appear to stick out a ton too.

I have 285s on the back of my '70. The wheels are 17X9, with a 5.5" back space. All the tire is inside my wheel wells too.... if that helps you at all.

Nearly impossible to tell from that photo. They appear to stick out a ton too.

I have 285s on the back of my '70. The wheels are 17X9, with a 5.5" back space. All the tire is inside my wheel wells too.... if that helps you at all.

OK, this is what I've been able to find. It appears that I had a Mickey Thompson Indy Profile M50-15. The conversion is 295/50/15.

The width is 11.61", rim width 8-10", overall dia 26.61", sidewall height 5.80".

With this information, what backspacing is needed to fit a deepdish rim, without pushing the tire too much to the outside.

Thanks!

OK, this is what I've been able to find. It appears that I had a Mickey Thompson Indy Profile M50-15. The conversion is 295/50/15.

The width is 11.61", rim width 8-10", overall dia 26.61", sidewall height 5.80".

With this information, what backspacing is needed to fit a deepdish rim, without pushing the tire too much to the outside.

Thanks!

Well, if you plan to use a 295 rear tire it's nearly the same width as my 285s. My wheels are 9" wide, with the 5.5" backspace, as I mentioned. I think the same backspace for your 15" wheels, with a similar width (9"), would fit like mine...

2uojptl.jpg

Well, if you plan to use a 295 rear tire it's nearly the same width as my 285s. My wheels are 9" wide, with the 5.5" backspace, as I mentioned. I think the same backspace for your 15" wheels, with a similar width (9"), would fit like mine...

2uojptl.jpg

Your tires and rims look pretty cool and thank you for the info, but I want at least 11-12" tread width. I want the tire to align with the outter part of the wheel well and if it sticks out a 1/2 to 3/4s of an inch thats OK. I really like the fat tire look. That's what I had on my first Mach 1. I want to duplicate that look. I just don't want it to stick out too much and look stupid. I also like that deep dish look as well. I might have to go with a 10" rim , just looking for that perfect backspacing.

Any takers????

Your tires and rims look pretty cool and thank you for the info, but I want at least 11-12" tread width. I want the tire to align with the outter part of the wheel well and if it sticks out a 1/2 to 3/4s of an inch thats OK. I really like the fat tire look. That's what I had on my first Mach 1. I want to duplicate that look. I just don't want it to stick out too much and look stupid. I also like that deep dish look as well. I might have to go with a 10" rim , just looking for that perfect backspacing.

Any takers????

I am running an 18X10 with a 305/35/18 on mine. I only have about 3/8 on an inch to the leaf spring and had to massage the front inner fender and roll the fender lip but it does fit under the wheel well. The wheels are for the 94-04 Mustangs, and I am not running any spacers for it to work, and they are listed with a back spacing of 6.38in. Hard tom completely see howfar it goes to the inside on this picture, but you can see it does fit

phoca_thumb_l__dsc8828.jpg

I am running an 18X10 with a 305/35/18 on mine. I only have about 3/8 on an inch to the leaf spring and had to massage the front inner fender and roll the fender lip but it does fit under the wheel well. The wheels are for the 94-04 Mustangs, and I am not running any spacers for it to work, and they are listed with a back spacing of 6.38in. Hard tom completely see howfar it goes to the inside on this picture, but you can see it does fit

phoca_thumb_l__dsc8828.jpg

when I had my first 69, I was 16 and didn't know any better. I bought some 14x8 wheels and mounted 245-60-14 Kelly Chargers on them. As soon as I went to drive it from the shop that installed the wheels, I instantly knew I had a problem because the tires were rubbing the fenders each time I hit a bump. Unfortunately, I don't know what the backspacing was on those wheels, but I did wind up having to get air shocks for the rear. I'd imagine that the wheel spacing couldn't have been much for an 8" wheel to stick out that far.

when I had my first 69, I was 16 and didn't know any better. I bought some 14x8 wheels and mounted 245-60-14 Kelly Chargers on them. As soon as I went to drive it from the shop that installed the wheels, I instantly knew I had a problem because the tires were rubbing the fenders each time I hit a bump. Unfortunately, I don't know what the backspacing was on those wheels, but I did wind up having to get air shocks for the rear. I'd imagine that the wheel spacing couldn't have been much for an 8" wheel to stick out that far.

To get that deep dish look, the wheel will need some negative backspace. Also, that thing seems to have some added lift in back. I would not recommend airshocks for this today as there are better soltuions available.

SM69Mach - Nice look there on that 69. How much drop in the rear? How did you get it there? I am doing something similar with my 70 and hope to put 315/17's under it

Edited by miketyler

To get that deep dish look, the wheel will need some negative backspace. Also, that thing seems to have some added lift in back. I would not recommend airshocks for this today as there are better soltuions available.

SM69Mach - Nice look there on that 69. How much drop in the rear? How did you get it there? I am doing something similar with my 70 and hope to put 315/17's under it

Edited by miketyler

SM69Mach: I checked out your page and I really like the work you accomplished, your hard works sure shows well and I really enjoyed the video. Keep up the good work!

miketyler: Yes, I did have air shocks back in the day (1980). It must be a nostalgia thing. For some reason I like the rear jacked up a little with FAT tires, just to the outter edge of the wheelwell. Now a days the trend is fat tires stuffed under the wheel well with little lift to suspension, which I don't care too much for.

SM69Mach: I checked out your page and I really like the work you accomplished, your hard works sure shows well and I really enjoyed the video. Keep up the good work!

miketyler: Yes, I did have air shocks back in the day (1980). It must be a nostalgia thing. For some reason I like the rear jacked up a little with FAT tires, just to the outter edge of the wheelwell. Now a days the trend is fat tires stuffed under the wheel well with little lift to suspension, which I don't care too much for.

Thanks guys.

Prayers1: My brother had a similar look on his 68 vert when he first got it with the air shocks and such, but could neer get it right so it didnt rub.

Miketyler: I used a mid eye spring for the rear, and eventually went with a 2 in lowering block to ge the look I wanted. I know that is not optmial, but it is just a cruiser so it worked for my intended purposes. I probably should have done a reverse eye and maybe a 1 in block, but I didn't wnat to go to low to start with.