Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Never heard of a 9 inch 3:89 ???

I've received fantastic help here as well. I've been stuck on so many difficult topics and the members here always pulled through for me.

In regards to your true trac how much are you looking to get. If my unit (not the 3rd member) supports the 28 spline axles. Would it also except the 31's.

I've received fantastic help here as well. I've been stuck on so many difficult topics and the members here always pulled through for me.

In regards to your true trac how much are you looking to get. If my unit (not the 3rd member) supports the 28 spline axles. Would it also except the 31's.

A 3.89 rear gear is really a perfect fit for most hot rods with overdrive or 5th gear. The 3.77 were a little "light" for 28" tires and 4.11s were a bit stout for my taste.

3.89 with a 28" tire and a 5 speed works great. Remember - tire size effects overall rear gearing.

I have the Moser Tru-trac setup with 31 spline axles and love it.

A 3.89 rear gear is really a perfect fit for most hot rods with overdrive or 5th gear. The 3.77 were a little "light" for 28" tires and 4.11s were a bit stout for my taste.

3.89 with a 28" tire and a 5 speed works great. Remember - tire size effects overall rear gearing.

I have the Moser Tru-trac setup with 31 spline axles and love it.

I belive most 28 spline carriers can be ground out to accept the 31 spline axles but you have to tear everything apart. It would probably be cheaper to just buy the correct carrier and have it installed if it is compatible with your current clutchpack. Someone please correct me if this is wrong. In regards to the housing, you might want to check if it has the big bearings or small and if axles can be made for the small bearing housing.

Edited by Cruzzar

I belive most 28 spline carriers can be ground out to accept the 31 spline axles but you have to tear everything apart. It would probably be cheaper to just buy the correct carrier and have it installed if it is compatible with your current clutchpack. Someone please correct me if this is wrong. In regards to the housing, you might want to check if it has the big bearings or small and if axles can be made for the small bearing housing.

Edited by Cruzzar

Track lock is just what ford reffered to their unit as. GM generally reffered to theirs as Positraction, but yes they all limited slips. I run 3.89 gears in my 9" and they are perfect with my t-5. not bad to cruise on the highway but great for fun around town.

Track lock is just what ford reffered to their unit as. GM generally reffered to theirs as Positraction, but yes they all limited slips. I run 3.89 gears in my 9" and they are perfect with my t-5. not bad to cruise on the highway but great for fun around town.

I have a mildly built 302 with a wide ratio Top Loader. At the moment I 275 tires. What would be a good ratio. I would be using it for street racing and crusing short distance.
Just a qusetion what aspect 275 do you have I assume they are 60 series which is a tall tire and would still be a great combo with the 3.89 gear set.

I have that gear in my 67 with 245 50 16 tires and it is a little steep for any highway cruising at say 65-70mph but 50 -60 is liveable, I run a 5 speed and get best of both worlds. I wouldn't hesitate to run it if I was on 275 tires and a 4 speed.

Tom

I have a mildly built 302 with a wide ratio Top Loader. At the moment I 275 tires. What would be a good ratio. I would be using it for street racing and crusing short distance.
Just a qusetion what aspect 275 do you have I assume they are 60 series which is a tall tire and would still be a great combo with the 3.89 gear set.

I have that gear in my 67 with 245 50 16 tires and it is a little steep for any highway cruising at say 65-70mph but 50 -60 is liveable, I run a 5 speed and get best of both worlds. I wouldn't hesitate to run it if I was on 275 tires and a 4 speed.

Tom