Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

Of all the dumb luck....

I purchased a '81 F250 (originally had a 400M in it) and it had been supposedly swapped for a rebuilt 460 at some point in the past.

Well, I believed him, as the motor and the core support have stickers that say "rebuilt by x company, las Vegas, NV) or something like that. It looked legit.

Well, I go to change plugs, and I see a little problem. It uses 45s, not 25s like I thought! So I check casting numbers!...

C9VE heads! C7 block (IIRC) and I checked stroke, it's a 429! I'm going to get more numbers, I haven't looked at the engine in awhile, but the numbers I had someone else told me it was either a Police motor or a Cobra motor. I'm not overly hopeful, but either way, it's giving me a serious headache deciding between engines-

1. '69 casting appropriate 429, rebuid it and make it scream!
  2. '96 Explorer 5.0, 4bbl, AOD
  3. '96 Explorer 5.0, stock fuel injection (and 4R70W transmission)

A 4bbl 5.0 is just so ho-hum. Now, I'd like the fuel injection, OBD-II, etc. But at the same time, having that 429 drop in my lap is tough... a 429 would just....be....so....cool....