Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

Long crank/ hard start 302/2bbl

I've got a '70 Mustang 302/C4 with a 2bbl.

I've already replaced the fuel pump, no change.

When I try to start the car after it's been sitting, it just cranks and cranks. No pops or anything. On a few occasions, I've been able to fire it up, but it seems to have been worse.

If I squirt a little starting fluid in it, it fires right up, and if I let it warm up, it runs great, drives great. Has good power. It's just that long cranking.

The carb was rebuilt by a local shop that does carbs (Carb Connection in Kirkland, WA) about 2 years ago, probably 6k miles.

Is it possible the carb is getting hot & the fuel is boiling out? Do you have a Phenolic spacer between the carb and the intake?

This only happens when the car is cold.

And yes, there is a phenolic spacer.

I drove the car today. It fired up immediately, and ran AMAZINGLY. I think the idle was a little low, but I set the choke, it fired up, idled perfectly, and ran good. This is after sitting 20+ hours. It did the same thing again, about 5 hours later.

We'll see how it starts tomorow. I have a feeling this isn't going to happen until I let it sit.

Before you try to start it next time after it has been sitting, pop the top off the carb and look at the gas in the float chamber. I will bet $2 that it is bone dry. The gas in the chamber is leaking out somehow.

It is pretty easy to pop the top on it, it has 4 screws and the air cleaner screw, and it comes right off.

Before you try to start it next time after it has been sitting, pop the top off the carb and look at the gas in the float chamber. I will bet $2 that it is bone dry. The gas in the chamber is leaking out somehow.

It is pretty easy to pop the top on it, it has 4 screws and the air cleaner screw, and it comes right off.

Did this today, and it's bone dry.

So at least I've narrowed it down to that. I'll investigate why later....

Did this today, and it's bone dry.

So at least I've narrowed it down to that. I'll investigate why later....