Sign in to follow this  
MustangMadness

Trying to make 2005 Gt Wheels fit on 69

Fellow Enthusiasts,

I just ran into a little problem when trying to fit the 2005 Gt rims on the 69. The back fits perfect and looks sweet. The front touches the top part of the suspension and does not allow the wheels to turn. I purchased the 1/4 in wheel spacers. That did not work because the threading does not go out far enough for the nuts to catch. AutoZone did not sell any type of lug nuts that could make this work. I tried 2 different sets. Can anybody help me with a solution? Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Take care.

Edited by MustangMadness

You put on 2005 wheels with no spacers at all??? seems like even the back wheel would be set way inside the wheel well. Check out some of the parts suppliers that have wheel adapters. I am pretty sure they come with everything needed to avoid the problems you are having, and space the wheels to the correct backspacing.

You put on 2005 wheels with no spacers at all??? seems like even the back wheel would be set way inside the wheel well. Check out some of the parts suppliers that have wheel adapters. I am pretty sure they come with everything needed to avoid the problems you are having, and space the wheels to the correct backspacing.

I tried the spacers but the threading doesn't allow the nuts to catch. I will look into the wheel adapters. This is my first build so cut me some slack. and yes the back does sit inside the wheel well a couple of inches.

A modern wheel like this has too much back space to just bolt up to a classic car, you'll need at least a 1" adapter, maybe even 1.25". This is way too much for a simple spacer and almost any spacer, even one that is only a 1/4" is going to require longer studs than you have. The right adapter will have an seperate set of studs already attached to it between the holes, you bolt it up to your exisiting studs and then use the new studs to mount your wheel. Something like this for an example.

trd-7069_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-7069/?rtype=10

Are these 8" or 9" wide wheels? If 9", you may have issues getting the fronts to fit. I'd recommend getting the center of the spindle to about where the center of the wheel would be when its installed. Then slide in the wheel and tire and give a little bit of clearance to the fender lip. Measure the distance from the face of rotor mounting surface to mounting surface of the wheel and that will be the thickness of your spacer needed. Off the top of my head, the newer (2005 and newer) wheels have even more backspace than the SN95 (94-04) and need around 1.25" spacer to fit. The SN95 wheels typically needed 1" spacers. I'd also recommend BILLET wheel spacers, not the cast like Pakrat linked to. Thats just me personally though. Here are some used ones on ebay (there are new ones if you look)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Wheel-Spacers-1-25-1-1-4-5x4-5-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e64d34fffQQitemZ130540589055QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

According to the following picture, it appears they are 17x8 with 45mm offset. This translates to a 6.3" backspacing. The ones on my car (SN95-style bullets) have a 5.72" backspacing and mine needed 1" spacers. You may be pushing it even with 1.25" spacers, as the optimum backspacing on our cars at the front is 4.5-4.75" and the upper limit is pushing it a bit close the the upper control arm

wheels.jpg

Are these 8" or 9" wide wheels? If 9", you may have issues getting the fronts to fit. I'd recommend getting the center of the spindle to about where the center of the wheel would be when its installed. Then slide in the wheel and tire and give a little bit of clearance to the fender lip. Measure the distance from the face of rotor mounting surface to mounting surface of the wheel and that will be the thickness of your spacer needed. Off the top of my head, the newer (2005 and newer) wheels have even more backspace than the SN95 (94-04) and need around 1.25" spacer to fit. The SN95 wheels typically needed 1" spacers. I'd also recommend BILLET wheel spacers, not the cast like Pakrat linked to. Thats just me personally though. Here are some used ones on ebay (there are new ones if you look)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Wheel-Spacers-1-25-1-1-4-5x4-5-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e64d34fffQQitemZ130540589055QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

+1 :2guns:

According to the following picture, it appears they are 17x8 with 45mm offset. This translates to a 6.3" backspacing. The ones on my car (SN95-style bullets) have a 5.72" backspacing and mine needed 1" spacers. You may be pushing it even with 1.25" spacers, as the optimum backspacing on our cars at the front is 4.5-4.75" and the upper limit is pushing it a bit close the the upper control arm

wheels.jpg

Thank you all very much for the immediate solutions to my problem. I ordered the 1.5" wheel spacers from ebay. Thank you pakrat again for your help. You all are awesome.

Guest Dirty Herri

I used 1.5" spacer to put some 17" bullets donated from my 2007 Mustang on my '69 Mustang.

Everything appeared good in in my case. I only ended up using the wheels to roll the car around while restoring it.

I bought some correct offset wheels in the end. I sold the spacers and wheels to another mustang enthusiast, never really heard back anything from him on how they worked out.

-Rob