Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Rear Leaf Springs

Ready to order rear leaf springs and install kit for my project. I'm looking for some advice on which set up to go with. Standard or Heavy Duty(HD).

Both are offered by Eaton Deteroit Spring. Pricing seems reasonable thru Year One.

Thanks

Bill

It all depends on your application. If you have a stock small block or six you can stay with standard rate. If you are running higher horse power or a big block then you want heavy duty. Then again the HD's might pickup the rear a bit in any application and as you know these cars are prone to dragging their rear anyway. Hope that helps. Bruce

I have 165lb mid eyes in my car and I would order them again, FWIW.

Does your car bottom out easily? I got 200lb mid eyes from Maier racing - I was afraid they'd be too stiff. The ride's not bad, but the car bottoms out hard over dips, potholes, etc. I figured being 200lb I wouldn't have that issue, so I'm curious if your 165's are worse, or I maybe got a set of bad springs.

It does rub the tires when I hit a highway dip in the road like the transition you find going over a bridge. Moreso with passengers. But I think this is due to the 275 tires and my ride height. the inner wheelhouse pinches in on these cars and it kisses the tire now and then. I bet it would happen with a 300 LB spring.

I was told by Mike when I ordered my maiers about a month ago that the 165 vs 200 was the thickness of hte solid runner to the front, they both posses the same spring rate.

Interesting, that's not what I was told. I think it even says on the website the numbers correspond to spring rate.