Sign in to follow this  
dzahm

Grill question

Anyone know how the 69 grill installs? I am using my original headlight buckets (no damage, no repairs) and my NOS grill. Problem is I got NPD mounting kit- which has funny plastic rivets (has a pin on top that you push that flares the lower end)- I can install 1 or 2 but they wont stay in as the hole is too big. (the hole is the same as the others and doesn't appear to have ever been modified). The other rivets will fit the hole but the pin won't push in so I am not sure if the rivets are for after market grills/buckets or if everyone just uses black bolts instead. (the areas I am referring to are 1 slot(or hole) on top of each high beam and another slot below and to the inside of each high beam) Anybody?

Hello, those rivets are for your grill. They have to be wacked pretty hard to get the pin to be flush with the top of the rivet. I used a hard plastic hammer, but if your careful, a regular hammer should work(with a piece of wood in between.) I'm guessing the two that aren't working haven't been compressed enough to hold. I bought a couple of extras and still have to replace one that didn't quite work.

Cool, I was afraid I would break the grill- I will try that - FWIW thats how I got the barrel clips in for the mustang letters and side emblems. Lowes paint stick and a rubber mallet. Thanks

One or two rivets (on the top of the grill) are still easily pulled out when "locked" I thought about wrapping tape around the rivet to tighten the hold but I don't want it visible. I still have that feeling I am not doing something right. I will try again tonight

This is an old thread, but thought I'd resurrect it rather than starting new one. I'm trying to install the plastic rivets on my grille. I got the top 3 to set using a hard plastic mallet. However, the bottom two are sunk into the grille, so I can't make contact with the mallet, plus these connect to the pot metal tabs on the headlight buckets, so I'm afraid to get too rough, else they'll break. Any suggestions?

If you are going all original, factory correct, concourse...bla bla bla....use the plastic rivets.

If you car is a driver or a hot rod then bolt the thing on. I used stainless bolts and nylock nuts to hold mine on. When I need to remove it to work on something it's easy and I don't have to buy new plastic rivets again

Bob