Sign in to follow this  
Scott

radio question 1969 Mach 1

I have fried several radios before and now I have a radio that "shorts" out when I give the car gas. I was told that I have a bad alternater or regulator, which I have changed both 3- times. It was also suggested to install an internally regulated alternator. I am not real mechanically incline, but learning. Any suggestions on a certain alternator or even if that is the problem. Must be an easy hook-up. I have a stereo with 1-amp, have a/c and everthing else is factory.

Thanks for any response.

I had a hard time deciding on what alternator to go with. After a lot of reading, I went with PA Perfprmance. http://www.paperformance.com/Scripts/default.asp I just ordered the following. They said this is what I need to install the alternator in my 69 Mach.

95 AMP 3G Alternator Kit (1965-1980's) #1614E

3G Upgrade Kit (Retains Stock Wiring) #462802C

4 Gauge Standard Short Power Wire Kits 30" #9904

It should arrive later this week. Can't wait!

I have fried several radios before and now I have a radio that "shorts" out when I give the car gas. I was told that I have a bad alternater or regulator, which I have changed both 3- times. It was also suggested to install an internally regulated alternator. I am not real mechanically incline, but learning. Any suggestions on a certain alternator or even if that is the problem. Must be an easy hook-up. I have a stereo with 1-amp, have a/c and everthing else is factory.

Thanks for any response.

What do you mean that it Shorts Out when you give it gas? The radio stops working? What is it exactly doing and does it start working again at some point?

If you changed alternator and reg 3 times it's probably not there the problem lies... :rolleyes:

Save yourself grief and money and find a local car electrician. Your problem sounds pretty wierd; the alternator should not be able to fry a radio as it's not capable of putting out much more than 14.1V or so depending on model. Ignition related maybe?

When I ran up the rpms the radio stopped playing, but when I let off, the radio came back on. The A/C was not on at the time. The guy at the auto parts store thought my existing alernator wasn't big enough to handle the , amp, woofer, and some speakers. He sold me a 135 internally regulated alternator. Does any of this make any sense and does anyone have a wiring diagram for the alternator conveersion. I appreciate any help.

As mentioned, it seems like you have a different problem than the alternator. One of the first things to do is to moonitor the voltage when you are driving. Get a good voltmeter, one that will read to a tenth of a volt. Hook it up to 12 volts that your radio is connected to. I will bet the voltage to it drops when you rev the motor, it is not going up.