Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Radio/Stereo options

Hi guys.

I have an old aftermarket am/fm stereo in my car, and I think I want to make a change. Are there any better options other than Custom Auto Sound.

Honestly, given how loud this car can be, and how little I drive it, I am seriously thinking of going back to the factory AM radio or better yet, a factory AM/FM unit.

Are the AM/FM units fairly available? If not, What other Fords from the day work in Mustangs?

Finally, if anyone has a real nice clean factory unit, either AM only or AM/FM, and is looking to part with it, I am all ears. Knobs etc are a bonus.

Heck, without the iPod, all I listen to is Sports talk radio anymore anyway...LOL! I have become my father.

You can email me at mackiesback (at) comcast.net.

Thanks!

Correct AM/FM will be a bit pricey but I think some of the later AM/FM units that came in Cougars and later Stangs can be used. They look very similar to the correct unit but are chracterized by the sliding fader control below the push buttons. I have a couple of these and am also on the fence on what I want to put in. Am leaning towards an Alpine 9835 or the 9855 glidetouch model. They are single DIN and are a little large for the width of the console.

Edited by miketyler

If you want to keep the factory bezel assembly Custom Auto Sound and Retro Sound units are the most popular. The CAS radios are good looking and make nice replacements. If you don't mind going to the DIN sized bezel then just about anything under the sun is available. AM radio tuners just are not up to par and haven't been for many years for numerous reasons.

Why is your car so loud? Is it due to lack of insulation or a loud exhaust? Bruce

An authentic 69 AM/FM stereo can be big bucks. FM was still new and unappreciated in 1969 so they're kinda rare. BUT, a mid-seventies to early 80's AM/FM stereo can be had for about $75 on eBay and the look and fit are nearly identical to a 69. Far superior to the generic Chinese stereos sold by the "resto-radio" guys IMHO. They work as well and look far better in my opinion.

I put a retro sound in my 69. Far superior to a DIN conversion or the cas units. CD, are becoming a thing of the past like 8 track and cassette. I like the USB setup.

Mine's awesome, and sounds good. Most people don't know what an original '69 radio looks like and this one looks somewhat era specific. Plus it plays my iPod.

I just found a nice factory 69 AM/FM unit for $150. That seems like a really good deal. Should arrive in the next day or two.

Thanks guys.

That is a great deal. If it's working it could be worth upwards of $1K. So I wouldn't convert it or anything.

Mine's awesome, and sounds good. Most people don't know what an original '69 radio looks like and this one looks somewhat era specific. Plus it plays my iPod.

Does it put out enough power without an aux amp? Can it overcome the road & engine noise at 70 mph?

The $150 price for a true 1969 AM/FM is almost too low to believe. A true 69 did not have a balance slider knob under the buttons for balance control. I also think true 69 radios also did not have a fader between front and rear speakers. If it is a true 69, that is a very good price. I have the factory AM/FM in mine.

Just about any AM/FM radio between 1970 and 1984 will work fine in a 69 Mustang. I have a couple if you are still interested, and I live in Minneapolis. You can actually touch and hear it before you buy!

I have also modified many of these older radios for an auxillary MP3 or CD player input. I have one right now on ebay. You can play your mp3 through the stereo so you can adjust volume, balance, etc, with teh knobs on the radio. If you search my threads on this site, I described how to do it last winter.

The $150 price for a true 1969 AM/FM is almost too low to believe. A true 69 did not have a balance slider knob under the buttons for balance control. I also think true 69 radios also did not have a fader between front and rear speakers. If it is a true 69, that is a very good price. I have the factory AM/FM in mine.

Just about any AM/FM radio between 1970 and 1984 will work fine in a 69 Mustang. I have a couple if you are still interested, and I live in Minneapolis. You can actually touch and hear it before you buy!

I have also modified many of these older radios for an auxillary MP3 or CD player input. I have one right now on ebay. You can play your mp3 through the stereo so you can adjust volume, balance, etc, with teh knobs on the radio. If you search my threads on this site, I described how to do it last winter.

In receiving it, I see it is later than a 69 deck. I would guess very early 70s.

Actually, the ones from the later 1970's put put much better sound than the 69 one, so you will do fine with it. As I mentioned, if you want an auxillary MP3 input on it, I can do that or tell you how.

Does it put out enough power without an aux amp? Can it overcome the road & engine noise at 70 mph?

If you have some decent speakers, it should. They put out 50w x 4.

I have a fairly loud exhaust. If you want some idea of the noise level, I have a little in-car video on youtube.

If you happen to watch past the 3 minute mark, I think I had it cranked to around 23 at that time (out of how many I don't know, I haven't felt the need to go past 30 on the volume).

Front speaker is the dual voice coil 5x7 from RetroSound, rear speakers are Pioneer TS-A6993R (460w).

Edited by Black_69_FB