Sign in to follow this  
Powershift

My '70 Mach

I wasn't really liking how bright the new Le Carra steering wheel was, or the look of the wood wheel itself. It just didn't have the Trans Am look I was after, and the thin wood rim just didn't have the "race car feel" I wanted. So, I swapped out the wheel for a leather covered Le Carra. I also scuffed up the polished billet horn button, and shot it with some SEM black paint.

106mpu8.jpg

I also upgraded the starter with a high torque mini unit from Powermaster, along with upgrading the starter wiring. The original starter cranked pretty slow, and didn't sound too healthy.

2wpl4es.jpg

Edited by Powershift

Has anyone seen it in CC in person yet? It's on the news stands right now.

BTW Here is my latest project. I removed the rear window louvers, and am constructing rear window straps which mount using the same holes. It's all to achieve more of the Trans Am racing look. I spent some time bending and shaping the aluminum straps. The straps will be welded to the lower brackets tomorrow, and then get sent out to get powder coated flat black.

The rear speakers are going away too, and hidden speakers installed under the rear deck.

hwjnyo.jpg

Edited by Powershift

Congratulations man! What do the straps do? Other than complete the look? I have seen it before on track cars but never actually knew what they did. I have heard it helps prevent the glass from cracking under structural loads but is that really it?

Trans Am cars ran them because of the pressure build up inside the car at high speeds. It was to help support the glass (or more often plastic/Lexan window material), and keep it in the car.

Oh, and rear window straps were officially mandated after the 1960 Daytona 500... when the rear window blew out of the Smokey Yunick '59 Pontiac while Bobby Johns was leading the race. LOL

Edited by Powershift

Powershift - absolutely beautiful car, man. I'm going to have to pick up the mag to read some more details ;)

And I've been looking at wheels for some time for my "game plan"....yours are absolutely my favorite thus far.

Truly inspiring....

Thanks!!

I love the wheels too. The fitment and quality is great. I am, however, unhappy with the brake caliper clearance between the back of the wheel spokes and the hub. A 13" rotor with a late model Cobra PBR caliper will clear. Yes, they are good brakes. But, I planned to use a larger Stoptech caliper for road racing, and there is NO chance of them clearing. adding a wheel spacer would cure the caliper clearnace situation, but ruin my custom wheel offset!

Forgot to post this pic. I installed a radiator cover from UnderCover Innovations. Not only does it clean up the under hood appearance, it also helps box the incoming air from flowing over the radiator.

The part was made to fit the '69 model, but they sent me one which didn't have the hood stops drilled. I drilled them, and fit the panel myself.

24135sl.jpg

Here is a link if anyone is interested.....

http://www.undercoverinnovations.com/optional/69%20Mustang/69%20Mustang%20Anod.htm

Did you run a molding around the edges? I think that is what makes it look so great.

Yep! It actually comes with the kit. But, I got extra to cover all the edges. Since my car is a '70, and the hood supports didn't line up with the '69 supports, they sent it un-drilled. They supplied me with extra moulding to cover any trimming I had to do. They have great service, and had the stuff to me within 24 hours! Granted, they are in Calif, and so am I. LOL

Thanks for posting the link. I'm in the process of stockpiling ideas/parts for my future project...and I wasn't sure if that was going to have to be custom.

Oh, on a side note, Powershift...I have been totally pissed....I can not find a single grocery store, gas station and even a Barns and Noble that carries Car Craft.

Yea, seems Car Craft isn't too easy to find in some locations. Kind of crazy. Hot Rod and Car Craft should be mandatory magazines in the car section of news stands!

I dont know about now but back in the early 70's when I started working on cars with my older brother they were on almost every magazine/book stand.

Yea, seems Car Craft isn't too easy to find in some locations. Kind of crazy. Hot Rod and Car Craft should be mandatory magazines in the car section of news stands!

I dont know about now but back in the early 70's when I started working on cars with my older brother they were on almost every magazine/book stand.

Yep, I probably had several hundred pounds of Hot Rod and Car Craft back when I was growing up. They were the main staple of general hot rod/car stuff for me.

Thats why when I heard powershift was going to be in CC, I just figured I would pop on over to the local grocery store and pick one up...

Didn't think it would be like hunting for Jimmy Hoffa when it came to trying to find a copy...

Yep, I probably had several hundred pounds of Hot Rod and Car Craft back when I was growing up. They were the main staple of general hot rod/car stuff for me.

Thats why when I heard powershift was going to be in CC, I just figured I would pop on over to the local grocery store and pick one up...

Didn't think it would be like hunting for Jimmy Hoffa when it came to trying to find a copy...

Hoffa is probably hiding with boxes, and boxes, full of Car Craft. LOL