Sign in to follow this  
Powershift

My '70 Mach

I am a fan of keeping all the Mach badging. Machs were just a trim package anyway, yet they add a lot of value to the car over plain fastbacks. It helps that I already like the graphics, but I am a fan of leaving them alone.

I have 620 1" lower springs on my car and my front end looks exactly like your "before" pic. I want it to look more like your "after" pic. I thought about cutting a coil off but wasn't sure exactly how to do it.

Do you cut the coil from the top or bottom of the spring or does it matter?

I have 620 1" lower springs on my car and my front end looks exactly like your "before" pic. I want it to look more like your "after" pic. I thought about cutting a coil off but wasn't sure exactly how to do it.

Do you cut the coil from the top or bottom of the spring or does it matter?

The bottom is the only part you can cut off. It's an open coil on the bottom, and a totally round top (to fit flat into the top of the shock tower).

The bottom spring seat has a metal ear at the end, and the end of the coil spring butts up to it. Meaning you simply rotate the coil around after making your cut so that the end of the coil hits the stop. I removed about half a coil on mine, and as you can see it has a nice bit of a rake. I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel.

Seems to be "false" advertising saying the 620 springs lower the car an inch. THEY NEVER DO! I did them on my '65 Mustang, a '69 Mustang, a buddy's '66 Shelby, and now my Mach 1. ALL of them had to be cut a bit to actually get a drop! HA HA!

Edited by Powershift

Did another little project on the Mach yesterday. I swapped out the Rim Blow steering wheel for a Le Carra/Moto-Lita wheel. I'm not 100% sold on the polished horn button though. I may swap it out for a black one later.

BTW I'm selling the Rim Blow wheel, if anyone is interested.

Before...

3025h55.jpg

After...

24llrbm.jpg

I think it gave the interior more of a race look...

ivd7wl.jpg

The bottom is the only part you can cut off. It's an open coil on the bottom, and a totally round top (to fit flat into the top of the shock tower).

The bottom spring seat has a metal ear at the end, and the end of the coil spring butts up to it. Meaning you simply rotate the coil around after making your cut so that the end of the coil hits the stop. I removed about half a coil on mine, and as you can see it has a nice bit of a rake. I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel.

Seems to be "false" advertising saying the 620 springs lower the car an inch. THEY NEVER DO! I did them on my '65 Mustang, a '69 Mustang, a buddy's '66 Shelby, and now my Mach 1. ALL of them had to be cut a bit to actually get a drop! HA HA!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good project this winter. I agree with the whole spring issue. I found that the 620's actually raised the front end slightly.

Ha ha! Yea, I measured mine after installing the springs the fist time. It dropped a measly 1/8". I pulled the springs back out (like I knew I would), and used a straight edge from the coil spring end to measure directly across a half coil, marked it, and cut off the half coil. The results are what you see, a true 1" drop.

BTW Steering wheel is sold. =)

Edited by Powershift

Sometimes there is no drop because the springs that are getting replaced are so worn they have already dropped. Same goes for the leafs. Some people will complain of new leafs raising the car when in reality the old leafs were just sagging.

I did the springs along with the a-arm drop and got perfect results.

I can see that being true. On my Mach though, the springs were only about 10 years old (new at the time of resto). So, I doubt they had sagged too much. Either way, it's an easy fix via chop saw/cut off wheel/etc.

HA HA!

I linked up with another '70 Mustang this morning, and we headed to our regular Saturday morning car meet. This coupe was bought new buy the guy's Dad. It's a Pastel Blue, 351w, 4 barrel, Shaker, FMX, with a 3.00 geared 8".

He told me when his Dad ordered the car he told the salesman "I want a hood scoop too". The salesman said "Oh, I know just what you want." When the car arrived it had a Shaker, and the Dad said "Not what I meant, but I'll take it." Ha ha!

24pfi11.jpg

His 351w is healthy too, with only a couple hundred miles on it since install...

2guwsj6.jpg

Edited by Powershift

He said his car was originally 2 barrel 351W, with the Shaker. But, when he restored the car he got a 4 barrel intake and carb, along with a few other engine modifications. I would guess a 2 barrel Shaker car is somewhat rare. But, I would have done a 4 barrel conversion too!