Sign in to follow this  
Powershift

My '70 Mach

Got a few Emails from Keith Craft Racing this morning. My motor is DONE!

550hp/537tq

2i0pxyr.jpg

Those are some impressive numbers, very nice! I sure wish I could have put my engine on a dyno.

What components did you go with? I can see AFR's i'm assuming 205cc

Yep, AFR 205 heads. It's got 10:1 forged pistons, Eagle H-Beam rods, an Eagle crank, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake (port matched), and a custom ground Comp roller cam (242/245, 110 lobe sep, .580 lift). The carb is a Quick Fuel 780.

Got a few Emails from Keith Craft Racing this morning. My motor is DONE!

550hp/537tq

2i0pxyr.jpg

Ahhhhh Brian, almost as pretty as mine (Ford Blue), which btw should be in transit....can't wait! Do like those valve covers.

John

Edited by Machspeed

Ahhhhh Brian, almost as pretty as mine (Ford Blue), which btw should be in transit....can't wait! Do like those valve covers.

John

NICE!

Mine should ship this coming week. Still waiting on my modified TKO-600 though!

Hi, just read the whole of this thread about your car, remember seeing it in Car Craft while ago and thinking how cool it looked but maybe I am biased as I also own a white 70 Mach1 with a 351.

Mine is done as a " street trans-am" theme, and was regularly used in open track events, it has all the usual handling mods, rear discs and a 5 speed conversion with 3.50 gears. I am just in the process of biulding a new motor for it and up-grading the brakes to 4 pot calipers with larger discs for the front. There is a short vid clip on this site of it on the track.

Here are some pics

crashpics010.jpg

Silverstone014.jpg

Just got the rear suspension back in the car. I installed 200lb rear race Leaf Springs from Maier Racing, new shackles, and Bilstein shocks. As soon as the motor and trans are in the car I will be heading up to Maier's shop for the Panhard bar and subframe connector install, as well as a complete front suspension overhaul.

The new rear springs and shocks made a HUGE difference in the feel of the car. I ditched the Shelby under-rider bars, per Mike Maier's recommendation. His leaf springs are designed to work more as a control arm, and reduce spring wrap up. Combined with his Panhard bar... the car's rear end should be stout, and track ready. The ride with the 200lb springs isn't harsh, at all. It soaks up all the bumps without feeling like race springs. But, it feels so much more confident around corners, and just rolling down the road.

We will have to cut off the old brackets for the Under Rider bars when it's at the shop.

bitsec.jpg

Edited by Powershift

You went with Modern Driveline for your 5-speed, correct? I'd be very interested to hear about the entire experience, from purchase to install. I plan to install a 5-speed into my '70 Mach 1. I'm thinking I'll go with Modern Driveline as I've heard their kits are very complete.

Your Mach 1 is sa-weet! Thanks for sharing the progress.

BTW, in a early post, you mentioned the 2V shaker cars must be rare. My Mach 1 is a 2V shaker car. But I'm not sure if they were rare. (As tempted as I am to keep it original, I will install a 4V on my Cleveland. The VIN stamped into the engine block reveals it's the original powerplant.)

Actually, I've been uber busy running my gun store!

Well, that and I'm still waiting on the transmission to arrive. Modern Driveline is doing some special work on my TKO-600, which they plan to offer as an option later for customers. They are machining my Trans case, and making new top covers, to provide interference free fitment in the early Mustang transmission tunnels. Last I heard the case is done, and we are just waiting on new covers to be manufactured.

I'll still have a battle of finding time even after it arrives, with my very busy work schedule. But, time will be made!