Sign in to follow this  
Powershift

My '70 Mach

Here is a shot of my new to me '70 Mach 1.

It's got a 351C, Top Loader 4 speed, and a 3.25 geared 9". The wheels are 17" Vintage 48s, with 17X8 fronts wearing 255/40, and 17X9 rears with 285/40. Tires are Nitto 555s. I'm going to be doing a Trans Am series inspired theme with the car.

20giiyu.jpg

Edited by Powershift

Thanks!!

Here is a quick shot of the rear 285/40 tires....

2uojptl.jpg

The first thing I will be adjusting is the ride height. The rear will stay about the same, but the front will be coming down about 2 inches. It's got a "reversed rake" right now. LOL

330uscn.jpg

Have you looked into the Upper control Arm or Shelby drop? That may be the way you want to go and doesn't cost anything except labor unless you buy the template to do it which is cheap.

Have you looked into the Upper control Arm or Shelby drop? That may be the way you want to go and doesn't cost anything except labor unless you buy the template to do it which is cheap.

I already have some 620 springs for right now, which I will be installing on Friday. I'll probably have to cut about 1/2 coil to get the ride height I want. But, this is just until I do a coil over swap, along with more suspension mods.

I did some quick paint work today. I tore apart the rear tail lamp panel, scuffed up all the rear tail lamp panel chrome parts, along with the Mach 1 honey comb panel, shot some adhesion promoter, and blacked it all out with SEM paint...

Before...

img0189jl.jpg

After...

img0199pc.jpg

Thanks!!

I'm actually debating pulling off the MACH 1 lettering and tape stripe, to black out the trunk lid like the Boss & Trans Am cars too.

I thought about the same but ended up removing the lettering, painting the strips on (no decal) and blacked out the tail panel.

Looks great! So are the rear wheels 17x9s? It's hard to find a 285 in a 17" tire.

Yep!

The rear wheels are 17X9, with a 5.5 backspace.

Nitto 555 are really easy to find in the 285 size. I got them from Discount Tire. Oddly enough though, the Nitto tires didn't appear on their web site in that size. I called my local Discount Tire store, and they had them within 24 hours.

Onlinetires.com is another great source... http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/nitto/285%252F40-17+nitto+nt555+95w+bw.html

Edited by Powershift

Here is the best one I have. Sorry for the glare.

Glare or not... that is a VERY clean look! :punk:

I'm hoping that when/if I go to remove the Mach 1 tape stripes from the rear of my car.. the paint stays ON the car. The paint on my car is very high quality. My buddy, who used to own a body shop, is coming into town this weekend. He said he has some tricks for removing them, and I'm guessing it's with a heat gun. But, I'll wait and see if he feels comfortable doing the job. If it's an "iffy" situation... they will stay!

That is the stance I will be looking for when my 70 mach1 gets reassembled. I did the shelby drop -620 coils-roller Spring perches and I am in the process of roller LCA, I guess since I have all the parts off I will box in the UCA and LCA.

Al

Thanks!

I took the car to it's first meet today, and got a TON of great comments. It seems most everyone wants me to keep the rear Mach 1 stuff. So, I'll leave it while I do other things I have planned, and wait and see how I feel about it later.

Scary how much the stance changes the looks/attitude of the car!

Before...

30w77o6.jpg

After...

2my42n4.jpg