Sign in to follow this  
ruger1

What's the best size hole for panel repair

I've spent the winter compiling parts and now I have a few questions before I start to install them.

#1) What size holes are you guys making to weld your floor pans and sheet metal back together?

#2) What is the best way (fastest) to punch the holes?

#3) What spacing are you using between welds?

Thank you in advance.

I've spent the winter compiling parts and now I have a few questions before I start to install them.

#1) What size holes are you guys making to weld your floor pans and sheet metal back together?

#2) What is the best way (fastest) to punch the holes?

#3) What spacing are you using between welds?

Thank you in advance.

i prefer 1/4" for most situations. especially if you are welding to a heavier gauge metal like a frame rail. the smaller size holes fill up a little too fast. that's just my experience.

i have a hand punch when its around the edges. in the middle of the pan, you probably have to drill.

spacing is a compromise between having to dress a lot of welds and strength. if it was a non-visible area then i would favor more. look at the spacing of the original spot welds for reference.

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

i prefer 1/4" for most situations. especially if you are welding to a heavier gauge metal like a frame rail. the smaller size holes fill up a little too fast. that's just my experience.

i have a hand punch when its around the edges. in the middle of the pan, you probably have to drill.

spacing is a compromise between having to dress a lot of welds and strength. if it was a non-visible area then i would favor more. look at the spacing of the original spot welds for reference.

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

So this is what im workin on right now too. Passenger side trunk floor, pan in front of the tank, full length floor pans on both sides, and taillight panel. I've already welded in the floors with a mig and ran short beads until they were all joined. But in areas where the original spot welds were visible, I wasnt sure how to tackle that.

I have a buddy who loaned me an air tool that punches a 1/4 in. hole on one side and presses in a flange on the other.... now i get to use it!

So this is what im workin on right now too. Passenger side trunk floor, pan in front of the tank, full length floor pans on both sides, and taillight panel. I've already welded in the floors with a mig and ran short beads until they were all joined. But in areas where the original spot welds were visible, I wasnt sure how to tackle that.

I have a buddy who loaned me an air tool that punches a 1/4 in. hole on one side and presses in a flange on the other.... now i get to use it!