Sign in to follow this  
Rewind351

Help with fuel gauge

I've searched for this, but have not found exactly what I'm looking for. My Mach1 sat for 8 years. I have her running again and driving her the last few weekends. I went and filled up the gas tank and realized the gauge is not working. Was working fine when I parked it and I have not worked on the cluster or anything electrical.

Is there a float in the tank that could be stuck or something else? When I put the ignition onto accessory, the gas gauge needle will move very slightly and slowly from left of "E" to slight right of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've searched for this, but have not found exactly what I'm looking for. My Mach1 sat for 8 years. I have her running again and driving her the last few weekends. I went and filled up the gas tank and realized the gauge is not working. Was working fine when I parked it and I have not worked on the cluster or anything electrical.

Is there a float in the tank that could be stuck or something else? When I put the ignition onto accessory, the gas gauge needle will move very slightly and slowly from left of "E" to slight right of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Could be that the float is stuck. Thats what was wrong with mine when I first got it. Fair warning though somthing I had to find out for myself is that if you replace the whole unit the aftermarket ones you will have to adjust the float arm or your gas gauge will be all messed up. I still havnt fixed mine when my tank is full though the gauge only reads 1.2 tank.

Here's a pretty simple test to rule out the gauge (and the associated electronics):

Remove the plug connected to the fuel tank sending unit on the underside of the tank. It should pull right off. With the key in the ON position, touch the metal part of the connector you just removed to a good ground. You may have to pull the rubber sleeve out of the way if it has one.

If the needle goes all the way to full, you most likely have a bad sending unit. After sitting 8 years, the float could have developed a hole and it's just sitting at the bottom of your tank (more or less).

If that's the case, drain your tank, remove the sending unit and check it out. It's a pretty simple repair. Be sure to use jack stands.

Good luck.

Tom