Sign in to follow this  
GT350R

DSO 3223 ???? Cleveland white 428scj

Picked up a car a bit ago, and have been trying to piece together what exactly it is.

Got my marti report and cant find anything about the DSO. It states ;

ORDER TYPE LOCAL PROMOTION

DSO ITEM #: 3223

DEALER#: 42B527

FRANK STANTON MTR CO INC

216 RICHMOND

PAINESVILLE OH 44077

Looks like it was before the Cleveland area "Going thing" Platt promotion. Thats about all I can find.

Car was white, with red standard interior. Looks to have been ordered with all GT exterior stuff, but no mention of it being a GT on the Marti report (not sure if GT's said GT or not)

Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:

Four-Speed Close Ratio Manual Transmission

428SCJ Engine- Drag Pack after 2/20/69

Traction-Lok Differential

F70X14 Traction Tires w/ Raised White Letters

Sport Deck Rear Seat

Power Front Disc Brakes

Power Steering

AM Radio

Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

Chrome Styled Steel Wheels

Competition Suspension

4-18-69 build date

Any other info needed just ask.

Thanks.

This is a long shot, but here's an article from Mustang Monthly (written by 69GrandeCJ) that describes a special order car very similar to yours. 20 of the 28 went to the Cleveland DSO. Although this one is an odd color, the article indicates they could have come in other colors...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0206_1969_428_cj_sportsroof_ford_mustang/index.html

Happy Birthday to your car!

Sorry thats all ive got lol.

Your the ONLY one to notice that out of the many people I have talked to today.

This is a long shot, but here's an article from Mustang Monthly (written by 69GrandeCJ) that describes a special order car very similar to yours. 20 of the 28 went to the Cleveland DSO. Although this one is an odd color, the article indicates they could have come in other colors...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0206_1969_428_cj_sportsroof_ford_mustang/index.html

Awesome lead. I suspect however, that those special paint code cars were the Hubert Platt "The going thing" cars. Those had a special blue paint code.

Could very well be the same thing without being a special pant car. Only thing that makes me wonder is that is was not ordered as a special order, or dealer stock. It also didnt sell right away. So I dont think it was order by/for someone.

Dso 32 is cleveland ohio

So its a Q code car correct??

Whats the trim code?

Correct. It shows its a Cleveland DSO of 32. I am refering to the order type, and the DSO item number. Not just the dso on where it was shipped.

Its an R code W axle.

Trim code , I assume your talking about the interior, its 2A. Dark red kiwi vinyl standard buckets.

FWIW. The car is an unknown car, and was a barn(Cleveland garage really) find a couple weeks ago. Has been parked since 1980. Have not had a chance to register it or really even let anyone know it exists. Figured I wouldnt bother until I had the Marti report in my hands. Just got the email last night , and this DSO type has me wondering.

Keep us updated if you get the answers somewhere else. Consider sending a note and the info to Mustang Monthly also, there are always "in search of" odd finds and solve a lot of myseteries thru the readers.

Welcome BTW!

Ok, update time..........

Found out what it is. Thanks to a fellow owner who PM'ed me his phone number on VM.

The car is pretty interesting. It was built in a batch of cars that were all built to visually replicate the Ford Drag team cars. So , picture the Terry and Woods white drag team SCJ, and thats what mine looked like. All were plain (non GT or Mach) Sportsroofs. All had sportsmirrors and the Boss style C stripe with the "GOING THING" catch phrase in the lower half , just like the Drag team cars. Appears mine having chrome wheels was an option. It also looks like mine is the only SCJ found. About 5 found so far. Others are CJ's and atleast one 351.

So.... thats pretty cool. Being an SCJ and being a replica of the Drag team cars.

On top of that, they were all delivered straight to Thompson dragway when new. Not to the dealerships. It was a big event with the Drag Team attending , as well as big wiggs from Ford and other high profile dealers (Tasca) The story I heard was that if you bought one, you could pick it up that day , and race it. Or have it sent to your local dealership after the event.

From what is known, it looks like 100 were built.

Thing that drives me nuts is how something so cool , could be so forgotten about. We know all these other special cars like the Twister's and high country specials, yet we forget about the drag car specials? Weird.

TGT-Event-A05CWeb.jpg

Hard to see in the picture unless you save it and blow it up.

On the return road are two of the drag team cars returning from a practice run. Of the 4 sitting on the track, the two in the center are Drag Team replica's , with two Mach 1's boxing them in.

In the back ground is the field full of the new cars. Mine is somewhere in that picture.

Thing that drives me nuts is how something so cool , could be so forgotten about. We know all these other special cars like the Twister's and high country specials, yet we forget about the drag car specials? Weird.

TGT-Event-A05CWeb.jpg

That is really cool! Does yours still have the Going Thing stripe? I wonder if any old timers at Thompson would have any recollection of the event? I'd write some letters to the Mustang Club of America, Ford, and Thompson to see if anyone remembers anything. That's a rare group of cars and also high performance, which should make them very collectable. I'm just jealous I didn't find that garage before you did (I'm not too far from Cleveland myself). Keep us posted.

Mine did not have the stripes anymore. It had been painted red in the late 70's. I have an aqaintance who's dad helped run Thompson and they had nothing on it. Remembered it happeneing, but nothing solid he could give me or tell me.

The picture came from the original photographer for the event. He has been trying to find more to sell , but has been unable to.

Dont be jealous. The history just seal's my fate. Long hard and expensive to put this one back together.

What city by the way? I am on the west side of Cleveland in a sub called Brooklyn.

What an awesome story, I love it. I gotta agree about this promotion being somewhat lost to time, it boggles the mind. Can you just imagine picking up your brand new SCJ Drag Car replica at a drag strip? Watching the factory cars run then going for a rip down the very same track along with 99 other lucky people. OUTRAGEOUS I say!!!! What a find you lucky dog.

Mine did not have the stripes anymore. It had been painted red in the late 70's. I have an aqaintance who's dad helped run Thompson and they had nothing on it. Remembered it happeneing, but nothing solid he could give me or tell me.

The picture came from the original photographer for the event. He has been trying to find more to sell , but has been unable to.

Dont be jealous. The history just seal's my fate. Long hard and expensive to put this one back together.

What city by the way? I am on the west side of Cleveland in a sub called Brooklyn.

I'm currently in Richfield; lived in Geauga County for a while. My wife grew up in Cleveland and was living in Brooklyn when I met her. I know the neighborhood well. It's a small world.

I'm really intrigued by your car. I've seen much worse as far as resto candidates but what's really cool is that it has a neat history and still looks largely unmolested. Before you tear it down, take a ton of photos, look for any buck tags, build sheets, etc that might give a clue about it's pedigree. Any original markings, tags, paint dabs, etc. I could be wrong but you might have a diamond in the rough and the hobby could benefit from the info. Worst case, you've got a pretty original 428 SCJ Mustang.

Incredible story. You must keep us posted on all up dates. Wondering how much you paid for it?

Doesn't look that bad at all. I've seen a ton worse.

You definitely came to the right website. A ton of smart people here on this site to help ya out. Good Luck to you!

If you have the stomach , this is how I found it.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/GT350R/69scj/?src=wap

Always cool seeing "as found" photos.

It amazes me what happens to some of the cool optioned, and great story, cars throughout their life. They get changed SO much over the years, until someone 40 years later rediscovers them. Almost as if there was very little regard at the time for how special these cars were!

I'm currently in Richfield; lived in Geauga County for a while. My wife grew up in Cleveland and was living in Brooklyn when I met her. I know the neighborhood well. It's a small world.

I'm really intrigued by your car. I've seen much worse as far as resto candidates but what's really cool is that it has a neat history and still looks largely unmolested. Before you tear it down, take a ton of photos, look for any buck tags, build sheets, etc that might give a clue about it's pedigree. Any original markings, tags, paint dabs, etc. I could be wrong but you might have a diamond in the rough and the hobby could benefit from the info. Worst case, you've got a pretty original 428 SCJ Mustang.

Its far from original.

The SCJ motor is gone and replaced with a 302. One of the things I was looking for on this board. I remember someone saying they had a Mustang that had an SCJ swapped in. If I recall it was white. Well, I found out my drivetrain had gone into a white 69 Fastback , that was orignally a 302 and would maybe have a California DSO. Anyone remember who was talking about that?

So theres that, plus, the car has been apart many times in its life. It also has fiberglass fenders. Its also supposed to be white. When I bought it, there was the typical 70's "fur" glued all over inside also.

I figure I need to stock up on all the sheetmetal, and when I start the body work, I will then look into what I want to do for a motor.

Small world that your wife is from Brooklyn. Its a pretty small city. My wife was raised here too.

Incredible story. You must keep us posted on all up dates. Wondering how much you paid for it?

Doesn't look that bad at all. I've seen a ton worse.

You definitely came to the right website. A ton of smart people here on this site to help ya out. Good Luck to you!

I paid every penny of asking price :yes: , I was VERY happy.

Edited by GT350R