Sign in to follow this  
danno

Steering wheel idea

I thought of passing on what I thought was a good discovery. My 69 vert had a deluxe steering wheel, that large wood grain thing. It was worn in a few places, so instead of spending bug bucks to repair it I decided to see what the salvage yards had that could work.

What I found was the wheel from a 1980's vintage Ford Truck, and I am amazed at how perfectly it worked in my 69. It is smaller diameter, which I wanted, and the nice soft leather grip. The diameter of the plastic where it meets with the shaft is also a perfect match. Even the camera case texture of the plastic is the same as in 69.

The only problem was the rings for the horn connection. I had to do a mod and use the rings from my old wheel in the new one, but I got it to work.

On top of all that, I also got the cruise control working, with the controls on the steering wheel as shown. More on that in a different thread.

I can discuss more on how I did it, if anyone is interested.

Danno

I'm using the same wheel, leather wrapped but not with cruise control, I put my cruise control on the turn signal stalk. These are definitely a nice wheel. I think I paid $15 or $20 bucks for mine at the local pick-n-pull. Here' a pic

p4150008d.jpg