Sign in to follow this  
Psychbiker

Borgeson install in a '69 Mach1 w/ 390...Possible?

Need to fix my steering.

The box is original and pretty loose.

Looked into a Flamming River box or having mine rebuilt. Then I found the Borgeson and like the idea of eliminating pieces and cleaning up the setup.

Will I be able to install this with a 390 and Hooker Headers? Car is an automatic too.

Thanks

Rc

Need to fix my steering.

The box is original and pretty loose.

Looked into a Flamming River box or having mine rebuilt. Then I found the Borgeson and like the idea of eliminating pieces and cleaning up the setup.

Will I be able to install this with a 390 and Hooker Headers? Car is an automatic too.

Thanks

Rc

It's supposed to fit the automatics.. The Z-Bar is a problem on the manuals.

There is a guy on the FR forum that has this unit on his FE 67 Shelby clone. He also posts on vintage-mustang.com but got bent out of shape when several of asked probing questions on his install. All questions were constructive as we were all interested as we want to also install the box. Any who I think the fit was fine with FPA headers in the 67 chassis, same dimensions 67-70.

Found it, not sure he really needed to make all of the modifications to install it but I was no there so I can not voice an educated opinion...:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/606694-borgeson-power-steering-conversion.html

I was at Goodguys last year in Columbus and stopped by the Borgeson booth and spoke with one of the engineers/reps at the booth. I explained my setup (390 with headers). He told me that the unit they made (this was last year, could have changed) will not work with a big block. I've persused their website and see everything for 6 cyl up to a 351...but no references to a BB. You might want to give them a call.

From what I understand, the box is the same width as the factory box. It is bulkier towards the firewall due to the integral portion (where the hoses go), so unless your exhaust goes that far back I would think it would work. Definitely talk to Borgeson though.

Not to leave you hanging, but I've figured out which OEM box Borgeson uses and plan on doing a conversion using a gently used box. I still have to buy the box though. The used box is about $50, but the trick is getting the hoses made, ensure the pitman arm splines are the same as the ford one (that's the kicker!), adding the mounting plate/removing existing mounting bracket, and figuring out the steering shaft coupler. Probably one of those that is a ton of hours and ends up not saving much, but I'm always up for a DIY challenge!