Sign in to follow this  
Oz69fan

Borgeson Power Steering Kit

Hi Fellas, Have been driving the Grande around over the last month or so and becoming annoyed at continously correcting the steering at the straight ahead position.

The front suspension and steering components have been renewed with the exception of the steering box.

Looking for a better driving experience and have been researching Rack and Pinion kits and the Borgeson Conversion. After many hours checking out various Forums i have narrowed it down to either the TCP Power Rack and Pinion or the Borgeson unit. The TCP kit is going to cost around 3,000 - bit expensive for me. The complete Borgeson kit is only $860 + Shipping to Australia.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Mustang_P_S_Kit_19681970_289_302_351W_Power_Steering-p-1554.html

Australian Fords from the 1980`s had a similar setup to the Borgeson kit and were/are quite pleasant to drive.

At this stage i intend to go with the Borgeson kit because there are good reports on the Forums as well as a reasonable price.

Does anybody have a Borgeson kit on their car? Opinions of both setups would be welcomed.

083.jpg

Rod.

I've heard good stuff about the borgeson set up. I purchased the set up with a borgeson pump. I have it installed but haven't driven it as of yet. Waiting on frontend alignment. I have a 351w and I put hedman elite headers on the car. They were very close to the steering box so I shimmed the drivers side motor mount about 3/16 for clearance. The hoses are a pain in the hind end. The reinforced return line was a pain to get on the pump. The fittings going into the box I used a socket with a long extention. The hoses to the fittings I used a crows foot to tighten. Just not much room under the power brake booster. I have a c4 automatic. Not sure on the fit for a standard transmission. Hopefully going to get the alignment on Monday. I'll know more after that.

Rick

Hi Rick, Thanks for posting.

The Aussie Fords were also a pain when it came to fitting the lines. We have a hoist so hopefully that will make the job a little easier, and the car has standard exhaust manifolds.

Very interested to see your observations after you have driven the car on the highway once the wheel alignment is done.

Any chance of some photos?

I will document each step during the installation when the kit arrives.

Rod.

Rod,

I will see about getting some pics of the complete set up. I did back it out of the shop and turn it around. turned real easy. i drove it on the road in front of my house but the front end alignment is out and it wouldn't return to center very good. I also had to trim my column back about 1/2 inch to clear the rag joint. my steering shaft was modified to mount a taurus rack that didn't work out very well. Turning radius was horrible. Stock steering shaft maybe ok.

Rick

I got my stang back from alignment shop on tuesday and drove it home 30 miles. Steering seemed to be very good tracked very well. It is not like my Honda Civic but not too bad. Much better than manual steering better turning radius than the Taurus Rack. Been so long since the factory power steering that i'm not sure about that. No leaks and that a big plus. The altenator went out and the car was running off the battery and running very crappy. So I didn't enjoy it very much. I should be able to cruise it around this weekend and see how it goes.

Rick

Hi Rick, Thanks for keeping us up to date with progress.

Sorry to read that your alternator crapped itself. Not much fun driving it like that.

Well my attempt at buying a Borgeson Kit has not been successful so far. Sent an email to sales@borgeson.com on the 4th April - but as yet have not received a reply. Bugger! If the kit is good we would fit it to half a dozen of our Mustangs, but effing unreliable suppliers make it difficult for us.

Look forward to reading your report after you have driven it for a bit.

Rod.

I haven't read a bad thing about the Borgeson except for those who tried it on a manual tranny car or had headers and other engine mods. You should wait until CJ Pony Parts has a sale (which should be within the next month) and get yours then. The sale might help make up for the shipping to Australia.

I was able to drive the stang today. steering was great. Love the stock steering radius. I couldn't drive very far because I have an issue of a miss at about 3000rpm. I thought that it might be the altenator but no luck. I have a mild 351w with a new summit 750 carb. It has a old duraspark dizzy. I'm thinking that this may be the problem. I have ordered new wires and a new dizzy. Hopefully this will solve my problem. I purchased my steering parts thru CJ pony parts when they had a sale. So far so good on the steering.

Rick