Sign in to follow this  
kenyu73

kenyu73's 69 Coupe Restore

There is a world of difference between those two. I hate how the CJ rail is spliced together from three separate pieces. As soon as I opened the package I was thoroughly disheartened. That Dynacorn rail looks really sharp compared to the CJ rail. I will definitely go with a Dynacorn rail now.

Thanks for the pic comparison.

Those came with the Dynacorn rails. The silver ones didn't have any of those pieces.

ok. thought maybe you were trying to point out something less obvious like horrible looking welds (like on the axle bracket) or something wrong with the shackle mount.

any pictures of the insides? do they contain the long reinforcement plate?

ok. thought maybe you were trying to point out something less obvious like horrible looking welds (like on the axle bracket) or something wrong with the shackle mount.

any pictures of the insides? do they contain the long reinforcement plate?

I don't have pictures on the inside, but I don't recall any type of long reinforcements. The shackle mount is doubled up though.

I don't have pictures on the inside, but I don't recall any type of long reinforcements. The shackle mount is doubled up though.

it's hard to see in the pic, but what do you mean by doubled up?

on mine there is a long plate on the inside of the frame rail that is spot welded to the rail. my guess is ford found a weak point and had to find a way to increase the strength. maybe someone else can comment.

POR15 LH quarter section, ready for quarter panel install very soon.

Spent a few weeks spraying many coats of OSPHO marina rust converter in the upper/inside cracks and creases. I then applied POR15 over the main lower metal.

[ATTACH]9746[/ATTACH]

This rear connection panel was mangled pretty badly, so I had a used one shipped from a PA junkyard (they dont make these new for coupes). I didn't like the quality, but it sandblasted up nicely for the most part.

102_1440.JPG

100_1697.JPG

100_1698.JPG

100_1645.JPG

100_1862.JPG

100_1864.JPG

Edited by kenyu73

LH Quarter panel tacked into place... alignment looks good! Later tonight or tomorrow I'll bead up the seams and finish the jam, wheel-housing and tail spotwelds using an air hose to keep the temp down.

[ATTACH]9753[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9754[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9755[/ATTACH]

it's hard to see in the pic, but what do you mean by doubled up?

on mine there is a long plate on the inside of the frame rail that is spot welded to the rail. my guess is ford found a weak point and had to find a way to increase the strength. maybe someone else can comment.

just in case you missed my question. otherwise i'll assume no response was the intent...

This rear connection panel was mangled pretty badly, so I had a used one shipped from a PA junkyard (they dont make these new for coupes). I didn't like the quality, but it sandblasted up nicely for the most part.

102_1440.JPG

100_1697.JPG

100_1698.JPG

100_1645.JPG

100_1862.JPG

100_1864.JPG

My 69 Coupe is in about the same spot as far as the sheet metal work. My l/s rear quarter is off now. I have to replace the outer wheel house on the l/s & I replaced the trunk floor. I just had to repair a rot spot in the l/s rear frame rail, & I also replaced the tail light panel & the support panel behind it. Was there any reason you welded the quarter at the top instead of trimming it & welding it on the side? That is my next thing I need to tackle & I am trying to get as much info as possible before I start on it. My car was hit in the l/s rear at some time in its life but not to hard so I just straightened the panel that connects the tail light panel to the quarter panel.

My 69 Coupe is in about the same spot as far as the sheet metal work. My l/s rear quarter is off now. I have to replace the outer wheel house on the l/s & I replaced the trunk floor. I just had to repair a rot spot in the l/s rear frame rail, & I also replaced the tail light panel & the support panel behind it. Was there any reason you welded the quarter at the top instead of trimming it & welding it on the side? That is my next thing I need to tackle & I am trying to get as much info as possible before I start on it. My car was hit in the l/s rear at some time in its life but not to hard so I just straightened the panel that connects the tail light panel to the quarter panel.

I tried to take things off and save as much as possible, but it just got to the point where every part of the rear was damaged. I just went to town and just sawzall'ed the whole damn ass off (=. Not the smartest thing because I lost all frame references...

I decided to weld the top so there wasn't a long straight repair reference along side the quarter. Any slight warpage would show easily. So me being a non-professional body guy, by welding on the top I have some room for mess ups without it "clearly" showing along the side. I am going to have a hell of a time grinding down smooth the area by the window/side though.

just in case you missed my question. otherwise i'll assume no response was the intent...

Hey Buckeye, the only extra double layer is where the leaf spring mounts in the back. It's not really doubled up, its just the leaf eye hole/assembly part was a separate piece welded into the frame. Make sense?

Hey Buckeye, the only extra double layer is where the leaf spring mounts in the back. It's not really doubled up, its just the leaf eye hole/assembly part was a separate piece welded into the frame. Make sense?

thanks! makes sense. I believe that's similar to the way the factory had it.

For semantics, a tube welded through the rail would be called a sleeve, a standoff off on the side is called a bung. I believe this area has a long sleeve which also acts as a bung on both sides.

Edited by Fordrevhead

Front and rear quarter spot welded on as well as the wheel-housing.

[ATTACH]9782[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9783[/ATTACH]

Quarter seem all welded and ground smooth

[ATTACH]9784[/ATTACH]

My son being put to work! Trying to get the rear-end all ready. Once the back metal is finished, I'l like to get the rear (and wheels) back on so I can move the car around if needed.

[ATTACH]9785[/ATTACH]

Edited by kenyu73

For semantics, a tube welded through the rail would be called a sleeve, a standoff off on the side is called a bung. I believe this area has a long sleeve which also acts as a bung on both sides.

Yeah, what Chad said....

Started tacking in the RH quarter. This one isn't lining up as nicely as the other side, but its all workable.

I did the seam on top of the drivers side which was a pain to grind, so I tried the flat side this time. I actually wish I did the top on this side too as the quarter just seems more solid the other way.

100_2020.JPG

I have about a 1/4" gap to fill as well as a small jam overhang. Once I get the seam welded in, I'll heat and tap the edge over into the jam.

100_2022.JPG

One of these days I am going to learn to weld like this.

I know the new quarters come with a black primer .. but I am liking the two tone with red & black. Have you determined your paint yet??

Actually, Red and Black. I have a picture in my original/first post of what my goal is to be.

I hope you're joking about my welds, they suck! Well, to give myself credit, I'm learning some good tricks as I go (like making tiny bumps instead of huge weld mountains!). :lol:

The ~1/4" hang over the door jam bothered me, so I cut the 10 or so tacks and re-did the panel starting with the jam side tight and pushed the "extra" metal to the back where I was able to tap the tail out to fill in the space.

Much better now....

Good alignment...

100_2026_mod.jpg

Bad alignment....

bad+placement.jpg