Sign in to follow this  
jkskinsfan

Headliner installation

I'm getting ready to install a new Headliner in my '69 fastback and will be posting photos as I make progress. Just want to give a heads up to anyone who will be doing a similar project. Make sure you make a note as to which Holes the Bows are in. (There are two) And also make sure to mark the location of each one. (They are all different lengths) For anyone who has already disassembled theirs without making the above notations here's what mine were like. The Bows were in the Lower of the two Holes. The Bows go in order with the shortest in the front and the longest one in the rear. Hope this saves someone some anguish. Here's a Photo of the Two aforementioned Holes.

I finally got started. Here's what I have got done so far. Hope it will help when others tackle this job. Two words of advice before I get started. Take your time. Patience, patience, patience. And keep your hands clean.

As you disassemble your interior in preparation for installing your new Headliner, you might want to take photos as you go. (Lots of Photos) Pay particular attention the two wire retainers that attach to the rear Bow to hold it in place. I removed the old factory insulation and replaced it with some Reflectix Foil Faced Insulation. If you decide to do this, don’t have to worry about not getting on enough glue. The Headliner Bows will help hold it in place. I then decided to reinstall the factory insulation on top of the Reflectix.

Now the fun begins. If you can, lay the Headliner in the Sun to help smooth out the Box Wrinkles. Then insert the bows into the Headliner Sleeves, making sure they are centered. At the front of the Headliner and on at the center of each Bow Retainer Sleeve there should be a Vee cut into the cloth to aid with the centering. Getting the Bows centered in the Sleeves is very important. After the Bows are centered, cut the Sleeves until about one and a half inch of the Bows are exposed. When trimming just trim the Sleeve material. DO NOT TRIM ANY OF THE HEADLINER YET. (Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this step)

Now is when you begin to insert the Headliner in the car. Starting with the Rear Bow, insert the ends into the proper holes. Then in turn insert the ends of the other bows into their respective holes. The Bows will be hanging Downward at this point.

Starting with the Front Bow, rotate it until it is snug against the roof. Repeat this step working from front to rear until all four Bows are snug against the roof. Now is the time to attach the two wire retainers from the rear window openings to the Rear Bow. A trick I read about (Can’t remember where or when) is to make two retainer wires for the Front Bow similar the ones used on the rear. I made mine from a wire coat hanger, but you can use any wire that will work. Attach it from the Front Bow to the two round holes above windshield pulling it just enough to stretch the Headliner tight. (Be careful not to stretch it too tight or you take a chance of ripping the seams apart.)

Now comes the really fun part. Gluing down the perimeter of the Headliner. I used Weldwood Brush On Contact Cement, made by DAP. (From Home Depot) Beginning at the front, stretch the Headliner material over the area above the Windshield and mark where it comes in contact with the area that it will be glued to. You can either trim the excess of now or wait to do it until after it is glued. (I trimmed mine after it was glued) Starting at the front, brush a liberal amount of glue onto the area above the Windshield. Apply more Glue to the Headliner. Let dry for 10 or 15 minutes. Beginning in the center, stretch the Headliner fairly tight and press it onto the glued area above the windshield. Moving to both sides of the Windshield, repeat the process until the Headliner is firmly glued to the entire area above the Windshield.

MORE TO COME!

Edited by jkskinsfan

It looks much more painful with all of the glass in like that. Of course, it means you don't have to reset the glass I guess, which is it's own fun...

I'm sure it would be easier to do this job with the Glass out, but it can be done with them in. In addition to all of the work it is to take the front and rear glass out and put then back in, you run the risk of having one or both of them them leaking.

I found it nearly impossible not to get glue on my fingers while doing this project. I took the opportunity while waiting the 10 or 15 minutes for the Glue to dry to use a little thinner to clean to Glue off of my hands. (It’s a lot easier to get the glue off of your hands than it is getting off of the headliner)

Now for the Rear Window Area. Just as with the Windshield, stretch the headliner towards the rear window and mark the area to be glued. Don’t trim the excess yet. You will want some of the Headliner without glue on it to hold onto while you stretch and glue it. Now is the time to apply Glue to the Headliner and the area above the Rear Window. As always wait 10 or 15 minutes to allow the glue to set up. Starting at the center of the Rear Window, stretch the Headliner and press it on the glued area above the window. Work your way from side to side. You will see a Metal Tack Strip on each side at the leading edge of the Sail Panel. Stretch the Headliner and attach it to the little spikes on the Tack Strip. Be careful not to stretch it too tight or you run the risk of the spikes tearing the Headliner. Now is the time to trim the excess headliner around the Rear Window’s Rubber Seal. Allow just enough excess to tuck under the Seal. You shouldn’t have any trouble sliding it under. It was much easier that I thought it would be. Here are some photos. The shadows from the camera’s flash make the wrinkles appear worse than they really are. Next I’ll work on the sides around the windows. Hopefully when I stretch and glue the Headliner there, it will pull all of the remaining wrinkles out. Stay Tuned.

When gluing around the side windows I never could get all of the wrinkles out. After pulling the Headliner off and re-gluing again and again, I decide that it was as good as was going to get it. I cut my old Wind Lace into small pieces to use as clamps while the Glue dried. If you are going to re-use your Wind Lace, you can use metal Binder Clips that are available from Staples, Office Depot, or most Drug Stores. After the Glue has dried (I let mine dry overnight) You will want to install the Wind Lace now. Remove a few of the Clamps at a time and install the Wind Lace in that area. Keep going until the entire Wind Lace is installed. Make sure the Wind Lace is all the way on. I used a small hammer to tap it into place.

All in all, I found that installing a Headliner is a “ROYAL P.I.T.A”. If you can afford it, have it professionally installed. I wasn’t able to get it even close to wrinkle free (I guess that’s the price you pay for not removing the front and rear glass) but since my car is just a Weekend Cruiser, and something I just want to have fun with, I can live with it. Here are some photos.

This is motivating me to give it a shot as well - no show car here, either.

Does anyone have a sense of how much easier -or more difficult- it will be for a coupe versus the fastback, also leaving the windshield and backlite on?

I think you did pretty good, especially considering that you left that glass in. You gotta love that Reflectix stuff too! If you use a heat gun or blow dryer you can probably get a a lot of those remaining wrinkles out still too.

I think you did pretty good, especially considering that you left that glass in. You gotta love that Reflectix stuff too! If you use a heat gun or blow dryer you can probably get a a lot of those remaining wrinkles out still too.

Tried a Hair Dryer. Didn't do much of anything. Hopefully it will look better after all the Trim is reinstalled.

This is motivating me to give it a shot as well - no show car here, either.

Does anyone have a sense of how much easier -or more difficult- it will be for a coupe versus the fastback, also leaving the windshield and backlite on?

Not much differant from doing eather one.

The removal of the glass makes doing it and getting the wrinkles out MUCH easier as you can pull and glue down the front and rear edges.

Best tip is have a set of spring clamps on hand to hold the headliner where you want it and keep it tight till glued.

For a couple of tubes of sealent removing the glass makes the install go much quicker too.

Edited by Mach1Rider

Perfect timing for your project post. I just finished lining the roof with HUSHMAT today in preparation to putting my headliner in next weekend. I have a coupe but the same basic priciples apply. I took my bows out some 9 years ago an had no idea that I should have marked the holes or the rods. This post will help a great deal.

THANK YOU!:thumbup:

A good tip is to install the screws for the visors coat hooks and window trim before you install the headliner then all you have to do is find the screw heads and cut a tiny X on the head of the screw to push it through the headliner.

When I did my coupe headliner, had it all installed and looking good but forgot to cut for the dome light. Hooked up the batt to take it for a spin and the bulb melted away the headliner in that spot, ha. Could have been a real disaster but luckily it just made it easier to trim for the light location.