Sign in to follow this  
specialfinds

another wiring topic

HI

On dash the flashers light up stay on when i turn parking lights on but will go off if i use the dimmer on headlight switch.Flashers still flash even with the flasher light on.I tried new headlight switch nothing.I tried unplugging the parking lights,the flasher lights do go off at dash,they are new repro parking lights and new harness from fusebox to front of car.Also even though the flasher lights are on at the dash doesn't effect the function of scoop flashers or any light staying on at the scoop,even tried to disconnect scoop lights at the marker light nothing so it isn't the harness for the scoop flashers.Don't know what other troubleshooting i should try.THANKS

You have got something simple that is very wrong. You mentioned you are using aftermarket parking lamps, and that could be the start of the problem. You also have a new harness to the front of the car. Something with that could also be bad.

To reduce the number of places the problem could be from, disconnect both front parking/ turn signal lights. Disconnect them where they connect to the main underhood harness, a 3 wire connector behind the lights. Disconnect these, and see if your parking lights now work, and the turn signal lights stay off. If you do this, the turn signals will not flash, they will come on and stay on.

Try this first, then we can proceed to the next test...

. Disconnect them where they connect to the main underhood harness, a 3 wire connector behind the lights.

THANKS Danno-----I did disconnect the parking lights,the flasher lights on dash goes off.Also unplugged harness going to the back in case it's from there,no change.Today i tried to plug in the original parking lights same thing.Everything works fine flashers will flash even when the flasher lights are stuck on when i turn the switch on.Just weird that if i use the dimmer on headlight switch they will go out,but flash fine when using the flashers,just won't have my dash lit up at night not that night driving will happen much.Ticking me off so close after these years of building this thing can close up the interior and fire it up.Maybe take the flasher bulbs out and drive this thing LOL,can't after all the work and than let this little thing break my chops.

Check the ground for your instrument cluster. If I'm reading this correct you can dim the solid indication in the dash indicators with the instrument lighting dimmer. If so this means that your instrument cluster illumination bulbs are backfeeding through the turn signal dash indicators, down through the front of car harness and grounding through the parking light ground; instead of through the instrument cluster ground like they should. The ground is most likely still there, just high enough resistance that the other path is lower resistance.

there should be a pair of black wires to 1 pin in the instrument cluster connector, and an orange with yellow tracer wire to another pin. these are the grounds for the cluster. The 1 black and the orange/yellow should go directly to ground screws IIRC, and the other black continues across the dash to the clock lights. this is all from diagrams, as I couldn't get to my parents this evening to check my cluster and harness.

HI

Thanks guys ,got everything working cleaned and played with grounds,cleaned up tighten fusebox,retightened back of cluster board,who was the culprit who cares right now.Hopefully nothing comes up cause now it's almost time close up the rest of interior,put rad and fan in,gas and fire it up.Thanks again,i don't post often but like to come by and catch up what's going on out there and good group.