Sign in to follow this  
POJ_69

Re-skinning roof on 69 fastback

Hi guys, I have to replace the roof skin on my fastback. Would anyone out there have any experience with this? I have seen vids of skins on racing cars being glued on with modern adhesives and welded on each corner. Heat caused the problem, so I am worried about plug welding the the new skin onto the car.

I'll be reskinning my roof in the coming weeks. I've read a few articles and most people state the fit is pretty decent, with some saying they drop right into place. I would plan on a little cutting and grinding though.

Someone mentioned it earlier in another thread I believe, but they did a roof skin replacement on a 68 FB on Musclecar (you can purchase the episode on Amazon or iTunes for $1.99). It doesn't appear to be that difficult...with the exception of drilling out sh&@ loads of spot welds. I think I'm going with the same technique they used on the show...a few welds in the corners and panel adhesive. I'll try and find the link, but someone on another forum completed their roof skin in this manner and was pleased with the outcome. My roof skin comes off this weekend. I'll be removing the quarters along with the roof skin so I can media blast the inner structures and roof bracking this spring. I'll be welding in some additional support to keep the inner quarter bracing from shifting all over the place. I'll take some photos if it will be helpful and let you know how the welding/adhesive combo work.

Edited by Legion

Thanks Legion. I would appreciate that. I have seen the clip replacing the skin on a 68 racing car. Most modern cars use some level of gluing in the assembly, so I guess it shoud be OK. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Back in the day before branded titles, I cut entire roofs off and staggered the post cuts (inner low/ outer high for example). When welded right and with windshields and back windows installed right I never questioned the strength or integrity of such a repair.

Thanks guys, panels are in, pick them up tomorrow. Will have time to think while I cut the old panels off. RH Door skin is off, and more rust hiding inside! All patched and sandblasted now, so will skin it next week.

Not yet. It's off, along with the quarters panels. After removing the quarters, I found some areas on the rear door posts that needed to be repaired. I've been working on that when I have time.

I've been working on a backyard project all summer (paver patio, hot tub install, pergola, etc.) that's cut into my time on the car...it's just about done...if the wife would quit adding tasks to the project:nono:. A clear example of scope creep.

Once the door post is repaired, we're taking the car to my brothers to media blast the car before the panels go back on. I'll post pics when I get my camera back, my grandaughter thought my Cannon DSLR needed an orange juice bath last week...

There's a couple of threads on the forum that explain how to post pictures. If you can't figure it out, PM me and I help you out.

Not yet. It's off, along with the quarters panels. After removing the quarters, I found some areas on the rear door posts that needed to be repaired. I've been working on that when I have time.

I've been working on a backyard project all summer (paver patio, hot tub install, pergola, etc.) that's cut into my time on the car...it's just about done...if the wife would quit adding tasks to the project:nono:. A clear example of scope creep.

Once the door post is repaired, we're taking the car to my brothers to media blast the car before the panels go back on. I'll post pics when I get my camera back, my grandaughter thought my Cannon DSLR needed an orange juice bath last week...

There's a couple of threads on the forum that explain how to post pictures. If you can't figure it out, PM me and I help you out.

Yes, I can relate to scope creep. I had to do similar things to get permission to restore my Mustang!! Shame about the camera though... The shell is still on the rotissery(?), with underbody all completed and coated. Un denting the lower left hand quarter now, and when that is done, the shell is complete. I drilled over 200 holes in the roof skin. Have yet to install the little pins that retain the chrome strips, but I have the rivet type. Have the rear louvre and wing, so I can drill and paint the fixing holes before painting. Sooooo many things left to do.

Yes, I can relate to scope creep. I had to do similar things to get permission to restore my Mustang!! Shame about the camera though... The shell is still on the rotissery(?), with underbody all completed and coated. Un denting the lower left hand quarter now, and when that is done, the shell is complete. I drilled over 200 holes in the roof skin. Have yet to install the little pins that retain the chrome strips, but I have the rivet type. Have the rear louvre and wing, so I can drill and paint the fixing holes before painting. Sooooo many things left to do.