Sign in to follow this  
Oz69fan

Lowering your Mustang

Hi guys, My Grande is sitting about an inch too high at the front and about 2 inches too high at the rear.

Not sure how to go about ordering the correct springs for the front and leaf springs for the rear to achieve the desired height.

Is there a guide anywhere to show the different springs to order for various ride heights?

This car is a 302 V8 with air cond and power steering. Wheels are 17"

Had a look under the rear and notice it seems to have only 3 1/2 leafs. Is this factory standard?

021-1.jpg

Rod.

I thought stock rear leafs were 4 leaf design except for Boss and CJ cars. Anyway, doesn't really matter. Contact whoever you're going to buy the springs from and see what they say. I would guess that whatever springs you get probably won't get you as low as you'd like and you'll end up cutting the fronts a bit, and adding lowering blocks to the rear. But I'd think starting with 1" lowering front coils and reverse eye rear leafs will get you the closest to what you're looking fore.

Call John at Opentrackerracing.com and tell him you want the 4 1/2 leaf Mid Eye springs and the 620 Drop coils "He calls them 540 drop coils i think" then install the rear springs, and the fronts, and see how the car sits...the front will be higher im sure...Then remove the front springs and cut 1/4 coil off till you get the car even.....THEN Go drive the hell out of it...when you get home the rear will have settled down a good bit more....Then readjust coils by cutting more if you need to.

Attatched is a pic of my friends car with the above mentioned parts done just the way i described to you...but we did not have to remove front springs after the drive to cut more because it sat level....Oh the rims are my 20's so the tires look kinda big, because im planning on having my car lower, so i ordered the 4.5 leaf REVERSE EYE Springs, which give you more drop.

Mike

I also have a 302w in my car and have fitted progressive rate KFFL-59 King Springs to the front. You can't see the top of my 235/40R18 tyres (they're tucked under the guards). If that's too low for you, try King KFFL-0.

As for the rear, if your existing leaf springs are in good condition just get your local Pedders store to reset them to your desired height.

Hi fellas, will take some decent photos and post them up over the weekend.

You will see from the new photos that it really is sitting far too high - particularly in the rear.

Having trouble sourcing new Leaf Springs here in Australia. Found what looks to be a good kit listed on the Mustangsplus website. Sent them 2 Emails through the week, but they completely ignored me, although on their website it appears that they are happy to do International Sales.

Edit - Mustangsplus sent me an Email with the shipping price. Chap explained they were temporarily very short staffed at that time. Fair enough - criticism withdrawn.

Sent an Email this morning to Mustang Depot - hope to have more luck with them. Could be a blessing really because i intend to do either the Borgeson Steering Box upgrade or a TCP power Steering Rack and i see Mustang depot carry both items.

Was able to buy the new front springs locally from Lovells Springs. their service was very good. Ordered Tuesday and delivered Friday.

Rod.

Edited by Oz69fan

Found a supplier for the new Leaf springs in Australia. Hills Mustangs and Classics in Sydney. Very pleasant to deal with.

They arrived yesterday and we fitted them today -

076.jpg

079-1.jpg

083-2.jpg

They are Lovells 1" lowering Springs on the front and 4.5 Leaf Mid Eyes on the rear.

Have driven the car and like the way it now handles.

Initially thought the front was sitting just a bit too low, but have warmed to it now. Rears ended up just right for me although i realise they may settle a tad lower over the next couple of weeks.

Next job is to fit the Dakota Digital Dash, followed by the Borgeson Power Steering conversion and a Lecarra Leather Wrapped Steering wheel.

Really digging driving this car.

Rod.