Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

Custom Auto Sound 630 Radio- Junk??

I bought a '74 Ford AM/FM on eBay for well under $100. Ford used the same basic Bendix radio from the late 60's into the 80's and they will all work in a 69. It's not a perfect fit (takes a little fab work) but it looks period correct and they're pretty good radios. I know this is about the third time I've posted this, so sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I think it's a better option than the aftermarket retro-fit stuff.

I am going with the Retrosound Model One radio in black. I looked at putting in a Ford am/fm from various years but it did not give me iPod/iPhone connectivity. The fm transmitters for the iPod don't work very well in the Indy area so that option is out for me. I also looked at putting in a modern DIN style radio but I don't want to pay the bucks for the bezel. Retrosound gives me iPod/satellite radio hookup/mp3/sd card and it fits the factory bezel. The remote mounted card reader lets me store tons of songs on a card and I really won't even need the iPod most of the time. The only thing I don't like is that the iPod connects with an aux port so it won't charge it.

I have a radio from a 74 that is in mine. I modified it for an MP3 input, and I have done this for others, it is fairly simple. This way I can use it as a standard AM FM, but click a switch and the audio input comes from my MP3 player. I have sold several of these modified radios on ebay. I really like the idea of keeping it looking as original as possible. When I do the mod, the radio is fully cleaned, tested, and has the modification done. Everything for under $100. But this is just another option, a tough choice.

When I upgraded my radio in 2000 (which of course by todays standards is outdated) CAS was about the only player that didn't require modification but I read nothing but bad reviews on them. Found out after some digging that their basic AM/FM Cassette Radio was a cheap knock off of the original 80's upgrade offered by Kenwood. They don't make that anymore but I found a guy in Texas called John's Mustang that had bought out all the old stock when it was discontinued, it is a much better unit and doesn't have all those tacky running horse shadows across the cassette face. I was able to put a 10 disc sony changer in the trunk that links up to a station thru the antenna and I use a casette adapter for MP3/Ipod. That technology is much better today (though admitedly not perfect) then it originally was and I wasn't looking for a killer sound system in this car anyway just something better than stock.

When I was working on my interior I was looking for a stock appearance with a multi-function stereo. I installed my original am radio in the dash but never wired it in. I had purchased the secret audio system and mounted it under the passenger seat, ran all the wires and connections under the carpet and it works great. I have AM/FM, satellite radio, iPhone connector, line in and even a set of RCA inputs. It sounds great, can't be seen and the remote makes it very stealthy and cool. Here is a link.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/secretaudio-sst-stereo-with-rf-remote-200-watts-1965-1973/p/STSST/