Sign in to follow this  
StephenC

Build a paint booth?

So I'm getting ready to prime my car here in the next week once it warms up alittle more and I have all the supplys needed to do it myself. So I'm curious to see if anyone else has built a spray booth in there garage if so how? And how did it turn out?

So I'm getting ready to prime my car here in the next week once it warms up alittle more and I have all the supplys needed to do it myself. So I'm curious to see if anyone else has built a spray booth in there garage if so how? And how did it turn out?

Thats bassicly what I'm doing im building a skelton out of some 2x4 and hanging the plastic off that and putting a tarp on the ground. What did you use as ventalation? I was going to use about 2 or 3 box fans with heater filters on both sides to keep the fumes down and get a good negative pressure inside the "booth" how did yours turn out?

Thats bassicly what I'm doing im building a skelton out of some 2x4 and hanging the plastic off that and putting a tarp on the ground. What did you use as ventalation? I was going to use about 2 or 3 box fans with heater filters on both sides to keep the fumes down and get a good negative pressure inside the "booth" how did yours turn out?

Hang the plastic as mentioned above, and then cut a hole in the front and tape an air filter from your house ac on over the hole.... Use one of the good filters, not that cheep ass blue one.....then cut another hole at the other end and install a box fan so that its blowing out of the booth....this will help provide positive ventilation, and suck the fumes out......I saw one a fellow hqd built similar to this but he frame-up a little room out of 2x4's so he could staple the plastic to it and installed one of those big attic fans......I got to see some of his work, and couldn't believe how nice and clean it was?..I was amazed that kind of work could be done in those conditions.

Mike

Hang the plastic as mentioned above, and then cut a hole in the front and tape an air filter from your house ac on over the hole.... Use one of the good filters, not that cheep ass blue one.....then cut another hole at the other end and install a box fan so that its blowing out of the booth....this will help provide positive ventilation, and suck the fumes out......I saw one a fellow hqd built similar to this but he frame-up a little room out of 2x4's so he could staple the plastic to it and installed one of those big attic fans......I got to see some of his work, and couldn't believe how nice and clean it was?..I was amazed that kind of work could be done in those conditions.

Mike

Thanks Mike I'll be taking a trip up to home depot tommarow and get some filters. I never thought of an attic fan though that would ideal for the way my garage is set up. I'm just worried about all the dust and debris getting on my car while I'm paint so I have to really clean everything this weekend and get some good filters. The booth I'm setting up is 20'x14'x8' so I'm trying to think about how many fans I might need.

Thanks Mike I'll be taking a trip up to home depot tommarow and get some filters. I never thought of an attic fan though that would ideal for the way my garage is set up. I'm just worried about all the dust and debris getting on my car while I'm paint so I have to really clean everything this weekend and get some good filters. The booth I'm setting up is 20'x14'x8' so I'm trying to think about how many fans I might need.

Here's a pic of one built using 2" pvc and plastic. He said he had less than $300 bucks in it, including the lights. I've also read that you want to place the fans and filters pushing air into the 'booth' and an evacuation hole on the other end, creating positive pressure in the booth. Supposedly it's better for the homemade paint booths to keep bugs and airborne particles out...versus pulling air into the booth through small gaps or holes. It also keeps the overspray from running across the box fan motor. I don't think they cause sparks like the old DC brush motors did, but better safe than sorry.

Untitled-1.jpg

I personally like this one....

I know I have heard in the past that a good reason to keep the floor wet as opposed to a tarp is not only to keep it clean but to keep the dust and dirt down, it can't blow up off the floor or be lifted while you move when it is trapped in the water.

I know I have heard in the past that a good reason to keep the floor wet as opposed to a tarp is not only to keep it clean but to keep the dust and dirt down, it can't blow up off the floor or be lifted while you move when it is trapped in the water.

Ive heard that also about keeping dust down. But I was just going to put down a tap on the floor so it doesnt get paitned do you think I shoud wet the floor instead or lay down a tarp and wet that? I got the fram build today and will get my plastic Saturday with the filters so I will be paint Monday mre than hopefully.

A friend of mine is a painter and they wet the floor in their booth since they don't have a down draft setup. I take it you plan on sealing the pastic to the tarp, so wetting down the inside would give you some added insurance.

Edited by Legion

A friend of mine is a painter and they wet the floor in their booth since they dont' have a down draft setup. I take it you plan on sealing the pastic to the tarp, so wetting down the inside would give you some added insurance.

Thanks I'll do that, I just want to get this done right the first time.

I think no matter what their will always be some junk that gets in and needs to be sanded out and in my opinion sanding is the least desirable part of the painting process so I think any little steps that you can do to reduce that process and eliminate even just one extra round with a heavier grit is well worth it.

Wetting down the floor helps with overspray as well, the paint tends to just sit on top, and does not cure, unless the water evaporates, I was able to squeegy mine out gentle after the paint had set.

Take some photos so we can see what you ended up building

Wetting down the floor helps with overspray as well, the paint tends to just sit on top, and does not cure, unless the water evaporates, I was able to squeegy mine out gentle after the paint had set.

Take some photos so we can see what you ended up building

I'll take some pics as soon as possible. Question about sanding though do you reccomend wet sanding or dry sanding? Ive heard mixed reveiws on both and I have personally only wet sanded.

As someone else who is going to attempt a homemade paint booth, I appreciate this thread. On a related note, does anybody have any ideas on cheap stands for the fenders, hood, etc? PVC, 2x4's, something else? Yours look great, jgstang, but probably more than I want to spend?

As someone else who is going to attempt a homemade paint booth, I appreciate this thread. On a related note, does anybody have any ideas on cheap stands for the fenders, hood, etc? PVC, 2x4's, something else? Yours look great, jgstang, but probably more than I want to spend?

I bought 2 stands from eastwood fairly cheap I believe just going to paint on those. And yeah jgstang you got a really nice setup there I was going for cheap if it was going to be permanent and I was restoring multiple cars thats deffinatly what I would do. Those stands though are $30 a peice I had a coupon code when I bought mine so they were cheaper http://www.eastwood.com/500lb-work-stand.html

off topic, but where are in NE Ohio are you? I'm near wooster.