Sign in to follow this  
bradk

powervsyeering cylinder?

Okay i was talking with my dad an we had plans to buy a new one.the reason is cause he heard its unsafe to drive one with a do it your self rebuild kit.now is this true?

Edited by bradk
word spelt wrong

Okay i was talking with my dad an we had plans to buy a new one.the reason is cause he heard its unsafe to drive one with a do it your self rebuild kit.now is this true?

Edited by bradk
word spelt wrong

The cyl its self is only comprised of a few seals, and a wiper and a locking C-Clip...as long as the cyl is good just rebuild it....to check if the cyl is good , remove the hoses, and remove the cyl, then hold a finger over one of the holes and push the cyl in or pull it out, depending on which hole your finger is on....if you plug the correct hole and push the cyl down, it will build pressure and when you remove your finger you will hear a woosh of air...this means the cyl is ok, then just pull the old seals and wiper and lock ring off and slap some new stuff in there, paint and reinstall it. Done deal.

Mike

The cyl its self is only comprised of a few seals, and a wiper and a locking C-Clip...as long as the cyl is good just rebuild it....to check if the cyl is good , remove the hoses, and remove the cyl, then hold a finger over one of the holes and push the cyl in or pull it out, depending on which hole your finger is on....if you plug the correct hole and push the cyl down, it will build pressure and when you remove your finger you will hear a woosh of air...this means the cyl is ok, then just pull the old seals and wiper and lock ring off and slap some new stuff in there, paint and reinstall it. Done deal.

Mike

They cyl is good was rebuilt years back.i trust my dad since hes a dozer mechanic.just somebody told him that they are know to fail if you rebuild them yourself.and it kinda worried him.so im askng the pros here for some advice.he said all was good an he read the ins and took his time when he rebuilt it.so i should be fine and have no worries an spend that money some where else?

They cyl is good was rebuilt years back.i trust my dad since hes a dozer mechanic.just somebody told him that they are know to fail if you rebuild them yourself.and it kinda worried him.so im askng the pros here for some advice.he said all was good an he read the ins and took his time when he rebuilt it.so i should be fine and have no worries an spend that money some where else?

If it fails, rebuild it again. They are finicky things and commonly leak (even after being rebuilt), but usually work okay. I rebuilt and ran mine for years of daily driving... you should be fine. That said, if/when mine fails again, I'll probably convert to the Borgeson integral power steering box and get rid of all that ram, control valve, etc. crap.

If it fails, rebuild it again. They are finicky things and commonly leak (even after being rebuilt), but usually work okay. I rebuilt and ran mine for years of daily driving... you should be fine. That said, if/when mine fails again, I'll probably convert to the Borgeson integral power steering box and get rid of all that ram, control valve, etc. crap.

You are not going to loose ability to steer your car if the cylinder goes bad.

A Power Steering car still has all the same (or similar) components as a Manual Steering car. Only difference is a PS car has a control valve on the end of the centerlink and a MS car does not.

With any failed PS component steering effort will increase, but it's not as if the steering wheel no longer has any control. Steering effort would be similar to Manual Steering.

Doug

You are not going to loose ability to steer your car if the cylinder goes bad.

A Power Steering car still has all the same (or similar) components as a Manual Steering car. Only difference is a PS car has a control valve on the end of the centerlink and a MS car does not.

With any failed PS component steering effort will increase, but it's not as if the steering wheel no longer has any control. Steering effort would be similar to Manual Steering.

Doug

okay thank you for the comments think ill drive mine till it fails lol

With more than 40 yrs working on these systems, I have never seen the assist ram fail. Hoses yes but not the ram its self.

Will they leak, Yes. But it is usually because the accordion boot is not on or has torn allowing the dirt to wear down the seals.

The only time I would replace it is if the shaft has been damaged in some way as in bent or scratched as the seals will fail over time.

okay thank you for the comments think ill drive mine till it fails lol

With more than 40 yrs working on these systems, I have never seen the assist ram fail. Hoses yes but not the ram its self.

Will they leak, Yes. But it is usually because the accordion boot is not on or has torn allowing the dirt to wear down the seals.

The only time I would replace it is if the shaft has been damaged in some way as in bent or scratched as the seals will fail over time.