Sign in to follow this  
robert smith

hood molding

Are you talking the front nose molding? On the front nose molding it has screws with clips that slide into the molding and then you just put screws throught the hood and tighten them down. The 70 had a metal bracket between the hood and the nuts on the inside.

Are you talking the front nose molding? On the front nose molding it has screws with clips that slide into the molding and then you just put screws throught the hood and tighten them down. The 70 had a metal bracket between the hood and the nuts on the inside.

Way back in 1987, I came up with a permanent fix for 1969 hood edge molding that never seemed to stay tightly attached as it should. All it takes is to try and open or close the hood by grabbing the trim instead of the hood and it's loose again. As an owner, you learn ... but every new person that tries to either open or close the hood typically grabs this trim and next thing you know it is loose and you've got fresh chipped paint !!

Out of 1/16" thick aluminum sheet, I cut 6 pc. 5/8" x 3/4" and drilled an 1/8" dia hole in the center. Then take the original cheasy clips and thread them though the 1/8" holes until they bottom out (in the aluminum, it will self thread and stay tight).

Then slide each into the molding track and re-mount using the original nuts. You loose a little length on the fasteners but you should have no problem getting the threads to grab.

This is a MOD that no one will know you've done and that trim will never come loose or move again.

I actually sent this in to Mustang Monthly back in 1987 and it made the "Beter Idea of the Month" collumn.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

Way back in 1987, I came up with a permanent fix for 1969 hood edge molding that never seemed to stay tightly attached as it should. All it takes is to try and open or close the hood by grabbing the trim instead of the hood and it's loose again. As an owner, you learn ... but every new person that tries to either open or close the hood typically grabs this trim and next thing you know it is loose and you've got fresh chipped paint !!

Out of 1/16" thick aluminum sheet, I cut 6 pc. 5/8" x 3/4" and drilled an 1/8" dia hole in the center. Then take the original cheasy clips and thread them though the 1/8" holes until they bottom out (in the aluminum, it will self thread and stay tight).

Then slide each into the molding track and re-mount using the original nuts. You loose a little length on the fasteners but you should have no problem getting the threads to grab.

This is a MOD that no one will know you've done and that trim will never come loose or move again.

I actually sent this in to Mustang Monthly back in 1987 and it made the "Beter Idea of the Month" collumn.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

Always happy to offer help where I can.

My car had no hood lip moulding when I got it so I can't say if the original stayed on any better than the Ford replacement I bought. Thought at first my replacement came with the wrong clips or I was missing something (some sort of reinforcment like '70 has). But found out from other owners that this had always been a problem and they just deal with it !! Did not like that answer so I came up with a fix.

Doug

Always happy to offer help where I can.

My car had no hood lip moulding when I got it so I can't say if the original stayed on any better than the Ford replacement I bought. Thought at first my replacement came with the wrong clips or I was missing something (some sort of reinforcment like '70 has). But found out from other owners that this had always been a problem and they just deal with it !! Did not like that answer so I came up with a fix.

Doug

If you are dealing with an repro molding those things have a tendency of not wanting to stay on properly.

yeah I have to agree. The clips are cheap and easily brake off. I had to reuse the original clips I had laying around and it worked great.

If you are dealing with an repro molding those things have a tendency of not wanting to stay on properly.

yeah I have to agree. The clips are cheap and easily brake off. I had to reuse the original clips I had laying around and it worked great.

Here's a PDF of my orginal submission to Mustang Monthy, has a couple of sketches showing the customized retaining clips.

As we have become more visual in this internet age ... THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES comes to mind ... I thought this may be helpfull.

Doug

Here's a PDF of my orginal submission to Mustang Monthy, has a couple of sketches showing the customized retaining clips.

As we have become more visual in this internet age ... THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES comes to mind ... I thought this may be helpfull.

Doug