Sign in to follow this  
BAdass70

Problem with gauges

I'm having a problem with my gauges there stock, my problem is that when I try to use the turn signals or high beam the bulbs won't work ... The other gauge lights seem to work. I haven't tried the gauges yet haven't gotten that far. A little history behind this. I burned up the circuit board I don't know if it was touching something not sure. I replaced the board and this is where it leaves me. The turn signals work fine so do the head lights just the lights on the dash won't flash or signal there on. I Changed the fuse same problem. Anyone have any clue as to what this is caused by? Ive checked everything.

3/8/11-

I gOt everything to work finally then the unthinkable happened again . The plastic circuit board burnt up for the 3rd time. Everytime

It seems to arc in the same location on the board. Now I'm not sure why is this is happening. My only assumption is that the harness is not fully but up against the cluster and causing it to arc. I would say if there was a ground issue it wouldnt work at all. The funny thing is that the fuse never blows. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I said screw these plastic boards and bought Dakota digital and hopefully solves my problem. The only thing is I dont want to put that in and then those burn up to. This problem I'm having also doesn't happen everytime you plug it in. When I was working on it i must have pluged it in serveral times before this happened so it doesnt happen instantly. Very strange. I'm almost to the point of ruling out a short also. I can't see how that's what is causing it. Anyway hope someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks !

Edited by BAdass70

Have you tried searching the forum? I would have to dig thru some old threads before I could give you any help for sure as I will only be tackling a circuit board replacement for the first time myself this spring but I do recall there being several warnings on multiple threads I have read in the past about a spacer and not having parts of it ground out on the connecting screw? I can't recall specifically but I know it sounded like a very easy and common mistake to make. I'll start digging and maybe someone who knows exactly what the issue is will chime in first.

I had the same problem.... the result is that when you reinstall the circuit board the gauges are not properly aligned and start grounding out to the housing. what you have to do is take the cluster out and readjust each gauge to where they dont ground out when you reinstall the circuit board...... and badda bing problem solved.

I had the same problem.... the result is that when you reinstall the circuit board the gauges are not properly aligned and start grounding out to the housing. what you have to do is take the cluster out and readjust each gauge to where they dont ground out when you reinstall the circuit board...... and badda bing problem solved.

I do recall there being several warnings on multiple threads I have read in the past about a spacer and not having parts of it ground out on the connecting screw? I can't recall specifically but I know it sounded like a very easy and common mistake to make.

Where is this spacer you mention.

The spacer is basically a gray piece of paper-like material that goes between the metal gauge housing and the printed circuit. They do NOT go between the gauge and the metal gauge housing.

My guess is you Ammeter guage is not seated right and making contact to to ground through the metal gauge housing. The only thing in the panel that has power to the battery at all times is the ammeter as everything else has to be switched. So assuming all your wiring to your switches are good.

When I first rebuilt my panel, I had my fuel gauge peg the high side. Turns out it wasnt centered and the stud was contacting the metal housing grounding it out.

The spacers are just a insulator material.. they seemed kind of like card board to me. They are the rectangular dark gray color things over the studs... You can probably make your own out of a strip of rubber from a heavy duty bicycle inner tube

You should also have a plastic cover over the studs of the ammeter gauge after its re assembled.

You didnt say where the circuit board was burning up.. Is it by the ammeter gauge?

IMG_0655.jpg

Edited by j69302

You can see the spacers in the above photo. They are the dark grey piece on the 2 screws for each gauge. These absolutely MUST be there. Another possibility is that the screws are shorting out. Ford supplied a plastic piece to cover the threads after everything else is done. I think it was to remove a potential problem not a real one. But if those threads for the ampmeter come in contact with something after installation, that will also burn up your wires.

I believe we found the OP's issue in another forum, but IIRC he had those spacers between the gauge and the metal housing, instead of having them between the metal housing and the printed circuit. The printed circuit was burning up on the copper strip going to the Ammeter, in which the printed circuit or ammeter posts were grounding out to the metal housing.