Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

fiberglassing a gauge pod?

I NEED to install a set of gauges but have nowhere to put them in my 69 except where the ashtray goes. I want to install 3 guages there. I dont have a console so the shelby kit wont work plus they only hold 3 gauges. Was thinking of making one out of particleboard but I think fiberglass would look so much better. So what do you guys think? Would it be hard. Ive never worked with fiberglass but gotta start somewhere right?

I think the ease of the project would be in how many steps you are willing to take to get there. It will be far easier to get a good looking part if you make a model first out of either open cell foam like you would get in a craft or flower shop or some modeling clay or a combination of both then make a reverse mold out of it in the fiberglass then lay new fiberglass in that modl to make the finished fiberglass part, it's a lot of work but worth it in the end. If you can find even one gauge pod you like that you can then triplicate and link togther or modify the shelby part tp add a third guage and then only build what you need to add around it to fit in the space it will be even easier. This is the same basic technique I would use back in the old days when I did custom action figures except that I used plastic resin instead of glass. When I get around some day to experimenting with a custom toneau cover for my vert I plan to follow the same type of progress with cardboard foam and clay. The good aprt is if it comes out great you can duplicate the parts in the reverse mold for others and sell them if you want instead of making a one off.

Yea the problem is no one makes a cluster even close to what I need or want thats why ive decided to make my own. The foam idea sounds pretty easy. Is there a certain type I need thats easier to shape and shave? How do I get the resin mold off of the foam?

I ran into the same issue for my 70. The previous owner had drilled the cowl cover thing and installed the gauges on the outside of the car in chrome cups. Great for the drag strip, but not great for what I was looking for. I ended up building my own out of some MDF you can pick up at most any hardware store that sells wood and some fabric from Joanne's. Here's the link to my build page... http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/index.php/topic,9529.msg118840.html#msg118840

Im already making one to go in the center of my dash,, just need to fiberglass it. I used cardboard cut into the basic shape I wanted and then aluminum foil over that to get the contours and overall shape,, Im going to fiberglass over it using chop mat and then finish it. Cut the holes I need for the gauges and paint.. Should work out well.. I hope at least.

Could try what i did too....Took an old console from another Car, figured out where i wanted my guage, cut hole in console, took a guage ring, put it in place, then took a paper towel tube and cut the design i wanted for the top over the guage ring, then laid fiberglass on the whole thing, console and all, then went back with bondo and cleaned it up...pictures attatched.....Oh BTW when the glass dries, it will draw up.

Mike